Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have 2009 Passion and over time, the front of the car (hood and grill) has quite a few water spots, due to the sprinklers. Can anyone recommend the best "over the counter" solution, to get rid of these spots?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The spray detailers work well. You might also try using a clay bar. Mother's & McGuire's sell clay bar kits that are available at most auto parts stores. Wal-Mart carries them also.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use one of the 'spray etailers to remove spots and cut down on the static charge that attracts dust.
Thanks for posting. By etailers, I assume you mean detailers. Any particular brand? Some are probably better than others.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The spray detailers work well. You might also try using a clay bar. Mother's & McGuire's sell clay bar kits that are available at most auto parts stores. Wal-Mart carries them also.
Thank you Smart Bob. I've never used clay bars before (never had too) but this looks like a really good start, as well as detailers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
wondering if the clay bars will take hard water spots off my shower?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Sorry. tough to type when the grandson is messing around with my tools..I have used Mothers and Meguires detailers with great results. Claybar also does a great job, but is a bit of work and I usually only use a claybar once a year. The spray detailers you could use every day.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry. tough to type when the grandson is messing around with my tools..I have used Mothers and Meguires detailers with great results. Claybar also does a great job, but is a bit of work and I usually only use a claybar once a year. The spray detailers you could use every day.
Nah worries, Jim. It seems a big thumbs up from all of you regarding the detailers and clay bar. I must give them a go. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,

You can try the detail spray and clay bar but you may have to take to a detail-er and have them use the foam pad buffer and a cleaner product. I also recommend that you not park it where it gets over spayed by the sprinklers or get a car cover. You should also keep a coat of wax on the paint as that will help minimize the effect. Water from the sprinklers is hard and full of minerals that leave spots and left unattended to can damage your paint after baking in the sun. Clean it up the best you can and waxing your car will help the spots not take a hold again. It's a small car and you should be able to wax it every other month if it sits out side unprotected. There are many detail products out there and company's to chose from I like Adam's detail products. You tube has a ton of great videos to watch on how to remove stuff from your paint. I hope this helps.

hartmn

Hey guys,

I have 2009 Passion and over time, the front of the car (hood and grill) has quite a few water spots, due to the sprinklers. Can anyone recommend the best "over the counter" solution, to get rid of these spots?

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi hartmn,

I appreciate your info and at some point, I will probably take the car to a detailer for final results. I've seen a few youtube DIY videos and don't think I'll have much problems restoring much of it to it's original look.

Thanks!

Hello,

You can try the detail spray and clay bar but you may have to take to a detail-er and have them use the foam pad buffer and a cleaner product. I also recommend that you not park it where it gets over spayed by the sprinklers or get a car cover. You should also keep a coat of wax on the paint as that will help minimize the effect. Water from the sprinklers is hard and full of minerals that leave spots and left unattended to can damage your paint after baking in the sun. Clean it up the best you can and waxing your car will help the spots not take a hold again. It's a small car and you should be able to wax it every other month if it sits out side unprotected. There are many detail products out there and company's to chose from I like Adam's detail products. You tube has a ton of great videos to watch on how to remove stuff from your paint. I hope this helps.

hartmn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts