Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Smart won't let me use the vehicle homepage I'd like to know if I can remove or disable whatever allows it to connect. Is there a sim card in there? Wifi? Anyone know how it works? I certainly don't want them to be able to track me if I get no benefit from it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 2014 has a modem, it's likely the same as in yours. It communicates over cellular. It's located above the passenger's foot well, under the dash, it's a black box about 3.5" square, bolted in place with a wraparound bracket, and is removed with I think 3 screws. There's a cable entering it, you can simply unplug it with no consequence.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2014 has a modem, it's likely the same as in yours. It communicates over cellular. It's located above the passenger's foot well, under the dash, it's a black box about 3.5" square, bolted in place with a wraparound bracket, and is removed with I think 3 screws. There's a cable entering it, you can simply unplug it with no consequence.
Thanks for the info!
Do I have to remove the dash to do this? Or is it easily accessed?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The vehicle homepage is working again. It was down for a while, but it's back up and running as of last week. Maybe you want to give it another try ?:shrug:

·
Registered
105 Posts
No not at all! It's a 2 minute operation. On your knees outside the car, head and arms up into the passenger footwell. The connector has a little catch, so it's hard to figure out how to pull it, which is why I removed the whole modem to figure it out. You don't have to, just find the little catch on the connector, and press it while lightly pulling the connector. Done deal. Maybe snap a closeup pic with the cell phone up there, to familiarize, as it's tough to get your head up there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good point. My web page works fine. I had disconnected originally due to modem sounds in the radio, but relocated my amplifier, fixed it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vehicle homepage is working again. It was down for a while, but it's back up and running as of last week. Maybe you want to give it another try ?:shrug:
It's not that. I bought my Smart used (with 300 miles), and no dealer will help me get the VVC to start using it. So it's useless to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just took mine out too. Didn't have an antenna connected to it and couldn't find a loose wire to plug into the purple connector anyway.
Since I can't get a VVC number for my used 2014, big brother MB can just wonder where it is .......................

Seems to be a CAN bus GSM modem with its own IMEI number. Not much use for me since I can't access the vehicle homepage and previous owner appears to have removed antenna (or it never had one to start with).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Those of you having problems accessing the vehicle homepage may want to check if antenna to modem is plugged in in the first place. You would have to be pretty much parked up against a cell tower to get a connection with a missing or damaged antenna connection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
These don't need an external antenna, mine has none.

You are right. The board has an Ethertronics 5 band embedded antenna on the circuit board. The SMART plastic body allows the embedded antenna to work just fine. I bet the external antenna connection is for the real MB models with a steel body .........

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just took mine out too. Didn't have an antenna connected to it and couldn't find a loose wire to plug into the purple connector anyway.
Since I can't get a VVC number for my used 2014, big brother MB can just wonder where it is .......................

Seems to be a CAN bus GSM modem with its own IMEI number. Not much use for me since I can't access the vehicle homepage and previous owner appears to have removed antenna (or it never had one to start with).
Does this box serve any function whatsoever other than connecting to the web page?

Have those of you who have disconnected the box noticed any side effects from doing so? cornwallav8r? Bryan Fuqua? Anyone?

·
Registered
105 Posts
There should be no effect on the car at all. When I disconnected mind, got no MIL or error indications. As you stated, it's just a GSM modem, and aside from sending the vehicle homepage info, it's used for whatever data collection MB wants off our vehicles. Nothing I'd worry about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had mine disconnected and sitting in the glove box for two months without any issues. I can't get a VVC number since I bought the ED used so I find it pointless to let big brother track me if I don't get any benefit from it.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
. . . I find it pointless to let big brother track me if I don't get any benefit from it.
Hey, the mothership has been "tracking" me & ED for over two years and I receive that $1 per mile compensation check every month like clockwork! :wink:

Jest keeding . . .

·
Registered
254 Posts
I find it pointless to let big brother track me if I don't get any benefit from it.
MB can probably still track you from your VIN and vehicle registration (if they are allowed to access that), or from your VIN should you visit a MB/SMART service center, or perhaps if you order parts from MB/SMART and give your VIN. Matter of fact, they may even be required to keep track of you for recall notices and such. I've gotten recall notices from other car companies for cars I bought used and I never sent anything to those car companies. Of course, I am also getting recall notices for cars long sold, which indicates their tracking is not perfect.

Disconnecting this box will deprive MB of some data, which may or may not work in your favor. I'm not sure how much control this box gives MB over your car (suggestions have been made that MB could disable the car if they so chose to do so).

I also am inclined to disconnect mine as I also am unable to use the website and hence so no real advantage to me to leaving it connected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Smart People,

I just bought a certified preowned 2015 Smart via eBay and after I extensively mentored the local Smart dealer on getting a VVC code... finally got a code. The dealer gave me the screen and it is labeled as "processing". I learned the previous owner never was assigned a VVC code. I cannot assign the car to my vehicle on the app screen and get the error, "error occurred on VVC processing".

Is this typical and will it eventually process?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts