Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on replacing my struts with KYBs, and can't figure out how to remove the spacers from the stock ones, can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Those won't come off unless you can remove the dust shield which is probably spot welded on. Best to buy new spacers which also serve to keep the piston rod clean.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those won't come off unless you can remove the dust shield which is probably spot welded on. Best to buy new spacers which also serve to keep the piston rod clean.
I got ahold of KYB and what they said was to remove the old ones. Everything freespins, so I don't think anything is spot welded. But nothing moves, aside from rotating.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Your going to have to get the dust covers off to remove the spacers. Only other way is to cut them, reinstall on the new struts and secure with tie wraps or wire. My preference would be to get new ones.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have never ordered these spacers but I would go to an autoparts store and see if they have them. I have seen them in various colors as well. I would also try Summit Racing and see if they are listed in their on-line catalog.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
451 Rear Suspension
View attachment 65629
Already seen this. And the spacer I'm referring to, the one I pointed out in the picture above, is not listed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts