Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible? I hate being stuck at 84. And I don't have cruise control, so I have to keep the pedal pressed all the way for no reason. And really makes the HOV privilege useless.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't agree. I've never found the top speed a big problem, and I drive in the left hand (fast) lane when I'm on the highway (which isn't very often I grant).

The top speed is not a power delivery issue, as the power meter shows about 40% power used and 28kWh/100km consumption.

So, you could perhaps do 40 minutes at top speed (limited) before you ran out of charge, around 75km total distance.

Let's also say it's winter, or a hot summer day, cut that by 30%, so you could only do a 35 mile or 55km round trip.

Now, let's raise the top speed and get even less efficiency (due to air resistance and over heating the motor causing the battery conditioner to come on), now you are down to maybe 45km round trip, under 30 miles.

I fail to see how saving a minute or two at most makes much sense, due to the range limitations at high speeds.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
In any electric vehicle, the faster you go, the shorter the distance (per charge) your batteries will go before you need to recharge?

PLUS, there are NO ROADS anywhere in the US that you can legally drive at 84MPH?

And, I live in the DC metro area (Tyson's Corner, VA), there are NO roads anywhere inside the beltway, that can you can come even close to 80MPH? (except maybe at 2AM when nobody else is on the road?)

Final question, where do you get HOV priviledges in your smart ED? I drive 66 and 495 and get zilch, nada, nil, bupkiss, (besides the nice fuzzy feeling that I am not paying for gas)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your insights. I do travel every day on the highway. I do find top speed a problem. I had a gas smart for four years and the top speed was 96. I'm not questioning the issues with consumption. Yes, it will be less efficient. So my question stands. Is there a way to eliminate/increase top speed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In any electric vehicle, the faster you go, the shorter the distance (per charge) your batteries will go before you need to recharge?

PLUS, there are NO ROADS anywhere in the US that you can legally drive at 84MPH?

And, I live in the DC metro area (Tyson's Corner, VA), there are NO roads anywhere inside the beltway, that can you can come even close to 80MPH? (except maybe at 2AM when nobody else is on the road?)

Final question, where do you get HOV priviledges in your smart ED? I drive 66 and 495 and get zilch, nada, nil, bupkiss, (besides the nice fuzzy feeling that I am not paying for gas)?
I also live in DC, but on the good side, MD (just a joke here). MD gives you an HOV sticker. And then you can drive on our side of 50 towards Annapolis, which has HOV 24/7. And plenty of people drive over 80 on 50. I'm not questioning if it is legal or not, just that I don't understand why someone has to decide and limit the speed of the car. I don't think teslas, BMW or Prius are limited. Are they?

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Many European cars are limited to speeds in the US lower than in Europe. Why - have to ask the manufacturers (Mercedes in our case.) :shrug:

·
17,350 Posts
There is a long stretch of Interstate toll road in Texas, where the speed limit is exactly 85 MPH. :)

Also here in Chicago, the speed limits are 55 MPH. Yet, unless there's congestion everyone does a minimum of about 70-80 MPH. State Police has a fun time on the Interstates!

I'm not questioning if it is legal or not, just that I don't understand why someone has to decide and limit the speed of the car. I don't think teslas, BMW or Prius are limited. Are they?
- The Tesla Roadster is electronically limited to about 120 MPH.
- Most pre-Fiat Chryslers go no faster than 99 MPH.
- GM trucks and SUVs go no faster than 100 MPH.
- Audi/BMW/MB saloons are all limited to 155 MPH.

And I can't think of a single EV that isn't electronically limited.

It's for both hardware tolerances and economy.

Imagine turning on everything in a smart ED, then going flat out until the batteries die. Without that limiter, you'll likely drain it before you finish your morning coffee.

Extreme levels of discharge can greatly harm batteries as well.

Not even mentioning the dangers of running the electric motor at full RPM until it runs out of juice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info on limits. Interesting. I'm still dissappointed to see that the electric has a slower limit than the gas, meaning that the limit is not due to component tolerances (I wrote before that I had a gas smart that could go up to 96). If the reason is the revs on the electric engine then I guess there is no fix, but then they could change the ratio to give it a little less pickup and more end speed. And let's assume I'm not too dumb and would not drive it flat out until the battery dies, I could still use 10 more miles of top speed (that I used to have) to pass or to cruise on the HOV. Thank you all for your comments.

·
17,350 Posts
I dunno, i had a Chevy Express van above 100, Plymouth Voyager up to 106, a rental neon up to 120
Ahem, sorry! I was talking about current GM/MB/BMW/Audi models and Chryslers built during the DaimlerChrysler/Cerberus era. :D

I've had a rental Dodge Avenger (post Fiat facelift) up to 120 MPH.

But by golly, I couldn't get a 2008 Dodge Caliber, 2009 Chrysler PT, or my mum's 2003 Envoy to break the 100 MPH barrier.

The two former Chrysler vehicles stopped at 99 MPH, like they were mocking you! :D

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Ahem, sorry! I was talking about current GM/MB/BMW/Audi models and Chryslers built during the DaimlerChrysler/Cerberus era. :D

I've had a rental Dodge Avenger (post Fiat facelift) up to 120 MPH.

But by golly, I couldn't get a 2008 Dodge Caliber, 2009 Chrysler PT, or my mum's 2003 Envoy to break the 100 MPH barrier.

The two former Chrysler vehicles stopped at 99 MPH, like they were mocking you! :D
I dunno, you sure? 08 Caliber goes 116 , 09 PT goes 118

·
17,350 Posts
I dunno, you sure? 08 Caliber goes 116 , 09 PT goes 118
Positive!!! I had them both pegged and they would not surpass 99!! :(

Though, they were bare bones fleet models, so that may mean something...

Owned several VW/Audi/BMW models and actually they were all limited to 130 MPH.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Top Gear has lied to me all these years! That, or they limit US models more than Euro models. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I am awed, impressed, and just a little scarred at some of the above comments about driving in excess of 100MPH?

I live in the suburbs of Washington DC and occasionally "MIGHT" be able to hit 90 on the highway @ 2AM IF no-one else is on the road?

Where the heck do you folks live that you can do over 100?
(Glad it isn't near me)
Or are you doing this on the track? (I have been around the track at Summit Point, WV on several occasions in excess of 150, in vettes, porsches, and a few other "racing" toys)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts