Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
So, I'm new here, but have been browsing these forums for the last six months when I recently bought a 2013 Smart ForTwo Sharp Red. I've been doing a bunch of mods on it recently, which look sick by the way, and I had a quick question! I have the black leather interior with the red stitching. Recently I removed most of the trim in my car and painted it red. It looks super rad! But for the life of me I could not remove the steering wheel trim. I have the steering wheel WITHOUT the paddle shifters. So I removed the bottom screw, and then the two side screens, and then tried to remove the trim, but it would not come off. Am I missing a screw? Should I be removing another one. I know you have to do some things with force, but I literally thought it was going to snap and I spent a good 30 minutes trying to pull it off.

Any help would be appreciated! I attached a picture of the new interior for those that are interested.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
WELCOME to SCoA, aka The Asylum . . .

All I know FOR SURE is that R & R of the silver three spoke plastic trim required removal of the wheel and paddles on my ED - warranty.

May want to disconnect the battery so you don't encounter airbag eruptus.

:blowingup:

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Yup, one of the screws in back I believe de-activates the airbag, so the wheel can be worked on if it is a design similar to American cars.
No disrespect intended sir, but why would you think this would be a design that is similar to American cars?
There is no information supporting your thought regarding a "disconnect screw". There is an airbag connector that is accessed once the wheel is partially removed. There is also a caution to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes before removing the steering wheel.
I realize that the OP is just trying to remove the trim, but the airbag was mentioned with the recommendation to disconnect the battery. That is a valid recommendation. I don't want to see anyone get hurt.

To borrow a quote from Evilution; "Remember, an airbag can blow your face off. If you do, please send me the pictures."

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate it. I think I decided to not remove the trim after all. I know nothing about cars to be honest, how to disconnect thins, etc. I'd hate to do guess work and then screw something up. Or have an airbag go off in my face. Maybe I'll leave it to Smart Madness if I ever get work done on my car from them.
Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts