Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 2017 Smart cabriolet arrived at the Northside Indianapolis dealer in January, it included a tachometer that I neither ordered nor wanted. He originally agreed to remove it, then backed down claiming he could not assure that it would not create electrical problems. He charged me for the tach, even though I did not order it. (I may have had a good deal, as he gambled when I ordered the car that there would soon be dealer incentives, but they did not materialize. Perhaps he felt over-invested already. Perhaps he was not altogether honest. I prefer to believe the former, as they do very good service. In all other ways I had an excellent experience!)

I hate this beast, that is, the tach! Otherwise I love the car! I covered it with a small cushioned cloth "tie-bag" that fits it reasonably well, which I found online. But how I would love to get rid of it!

What's involved with removing the tachometer. I have no mechanical experience or skills, and do not want any resulting electrical problems, in case the dealer told the truth. Is there a danger of resulting mechanical/electronic problems?

Do they make gloves shaped and designed to cover tachometers? I have not found one by searching.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You are the first person that I have ever heard that doesn't like a tachometer(rev. counter). It can be easily removed and shouldn't cause any concerns. Evilution.com has a tutorial on how to install a tachometer on a 453. One should be able to easily figure out how to remove it from this tutorial. There are probably a few 453 owner's who would be happy to take it off of your hands.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Smart Bob! I saw these instructions, although I don't have an Evilition.com subscription. One comment mentioned that after installation, one still has to have the dealer connect the tach before it will work. Once more I began wondering if removing it may cause trouble. Particularly since the dealer had indicated it might. (Given your response, I guess he made it up to avoid having to do the extra work. Now I have an unsightly bag on my dash!)

As for taste, each to their own. It has very little practical value with with an automatic transmission. It takes up space, blocks view (if only slightly) and shines a very bright light in my face at night, a light I can't control separately from the dash light. If I want a bright speedometer, I also have a bright light closer to eye level above the dash! I understand that other's like it, so I'm glad Smart offers the option. I wish they hadn't forced it on me!

Does anyone know a good place to purchase the cover for the hole it will leave on my dash?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If the 453 is similar to the 451, you can simply disconnect the tachometer/clock pod and that should be it. I have no experience on the 453, but the tutorial on Evilution did not mention having the need to get a tan code to activate the tachometer, so I would think that you should be able to simply disconnect the tachometer and remove it.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I have heard (but not verified through personal experience) that the 453 tach/clock will need the feature activated by an authorized smart center in order to work. In other words, you can mount it, then plug it up, but it won't function until the smart center programs it to the car.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Mister_smart_LA! That leaves the question open once more. If I remove it the tach/clock, instead of installing it, can I run into electronic problems as a result.

I guess this suggests an additional concern. Does removing the tach myself void the warranty?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Thanks, Mister_smart_LA! That leaves the question open once more. If I remove it the tach/clock, instead of installing it, can I run into electronic problems as a result.

I guess this suggests an additional concern. Does removing the tach myself void the warranty?
I believe it may throw a check engine light or some error code, based on what I was led to believe. Again, I have not personally verified this so I may be wrong here. Eventually somebody is going to try it and confirm or debunk.

I won't name my source to keep it private, but it is a factory trained one. Literally the words were, "smart 451, is smart. smart 453 is Mercedes-Benz. So it is going to function like the MB vehicles." :nerd:

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are the first person that I have ever heard that doesn't like a tachometer(rev. counter). It can be easily removed and shouldn't cause any concerns. Evilution.com has a tutorial on how to install a tachometer on a 453. One should be able to easily figure out how to remove it from this tutorial. There are probably a few 453 owner's who would be happy to take it off of your hands.

evilution? i cannot find any info on how to install a new tachometer on the 453

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I just checked Evilution and all of the 453 tutorials are not there. Contact Kane & see what is going on. You will have to become a member to see the tutorial.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts