Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best method of removing the Smart emblem (Front and Back)? I'm wanting to replace it with a Mercedes Benz Star emblem. Where is the best place to get a Benz emblem?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bought a can of "Sticker Shock" from Autozone and used an old soft plastic spatula to remove my emblems. I got my Mercedes star emblem at my Smart/Mercedes dealership for around $13! Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
What is the best method of removing the Smart emblem (Front and Back)? I'm wanting to replace it with a Mercedes Benz Star emblem. Where is the best place to get a Benz emblem?
I have the whole Mercedes conversion kit with photos on my website at Uptown Dog Company

You get a star for the front and back, a larger one for the gas lid, 4 Mercedes logos for the wheels and 4 tire valve caps with the Mercedes logo. It's on sale this month and it comes with directions to remove the old emblems.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have the whole Mercedes conversion kit with photos on my website at Uptown Dog Company

You get a star for the front and back, a larger one for the gas lid, 4 Mercedes logos for the wheels and 4 tire valve caps with the Mercedes logo. It's on sale this month and it comes with directions to remove the old emblems.
Why is the Mercedes star on your website photo not centered?

BTW, I trust you realize that I do not mean to be critical. It just occurred to me that perhaps there is a rational reason for this which we should be aware of before doing this ourselves.

Jim

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used dental floss to remove the smart emblem. Then the 3M double sided molding tape did the job and has lasted for three years and is still strong.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Use a hair dryer (or heat gun if you have one) to loosen the glue under the emblems.
Then dental floss (in a sawing motion) to remove.

Use "goof off" for any residue.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Why is the Mercedes star on your website photo not centered?

BTW, I trust you realize that I do not mean to be critical. It just occurred to me that perhaps there is a rational reason for this which we should be aware of before doing this ourselves.

Jim
Actually it is centered.........I'm pretty sure. I wasn't centered with the camera when I took the photo. I think I was a hair to the left when I snapped the photo. Believe me, I'm so anal about things being centered and adjusted, that after my wife drives the smart, it takes me about 5 minutes to readjust the side mirrors and rear view mirror until I'm satisfied everything is even.

Now I'll have to take another photo and measure left to right because I now know it looks un-centered in the photo. Surprised I didn't notice it and lost sleep.:)

Uptown Dog Company

·
Registered
436 Posts
Actually it is centered.........I'm pretty sure. I wasn't centered with the camera when I took the photo. I think I was a hair to the left when I snapped the photo. Believe me, I'm so anal about things being centered and adjusted, that after my wife drives the smart, it takes me about 5 minutes to readjust the side mirrors and rear view mirror until I'm satisfied everything is even.

Now I'll have to take another photo and measure left to right because I now know it looks un-centered in the photo. Surprised I didn't notice it and lost sleep.:)

Uptown Dog Company
Tks much. I suspected camera distortion until I compared its placement with the grill below.

Jim

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Use a hair dryer (or heat gun if you have one) to loosen the glue under the emblems.
Then dental floss (in a sawing motion) to remove.
+1, except I would go with a blowdryer. If you do use a heat gun, set it on *LOW* or you'll be replacing panels.

Also, use waxed dental floss, in preference to unwaxed. Yes, it makes a difference. The waxed floss cuts cleaner.

·
Banned
337 Posts
I debadged last night following the hairdryer/dental floss/goo gone....but now I have swirls. :( I used a wax...but still see them. Will plastix work (MaGuires) to correct the swirls....or what other recommendations?

Thanks

haze

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I debadged last night following the hairdryer/dental floss/goo gone....but now I have swirls. :( I used a wax...but still see them. Will plastix work (MaGuires) to correct the swirls....or what other recommendations?

Thanks

haze
What were you doing to cause the swirls...?

I took mine off. No hairdryer/no goo gone/no swirls.

·
17,360 Posts
Ouch, I'd say the towel did it. They can pick up surface dirt and left over residue and make those swirls :(

I'd suggest investing in a microfiber cloth :)

·
Registered
26 Posts

Can we still buy the emblems somewhere? I saw one on ebay but something looked off about the size

1 - 16 of 16 Posts