1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Renault Twingo III: First Drives

Renault Twingo TCe 90 Dynamique first drive review

Overall, very favorable impressions:

As city cars go, this Twingo is definitely one of the more entertaining options available. It is reasonably brisk and will get better with miles, the interior is genuinely accomodating for such a small car and the extraordinary turning circle should not be underestimated in everyday use.

More articles:

Top Gear

What Car?

The Telegraph
The new Twingo isn’t perfect by any means, but after the rather cynical second-generation Twingo, Renault’s baby is back to blazing a trail with genuine technical virtuosity that provides real benefits in interior space, manoeuvrability and driveability. Original Twingos are still much loved in France, still doing their job and looking contemporary. This new model stands a good chance of doing the same. Santé Renault, the Twingo’s back in the game.
Auto Express

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I have to say, I think the new design on the Twingo looks much better than the forfour. I don't know if it's the "tridion" look on the forfour or something about it that makes it look longer and disproportionate like someone wearing another person's clothes that don't just fit quite right. The Twingo, however, looks at home in these new styled duds. Kudos to Renault.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have to say, I think the new design on the Twingo looks much better than the forfour. I don't know if it's the "tridion" look on the forfour or something about it that makes it look longer and disproportionate like someone wearing another person's clothes that don't just fit quite right. The Twingo, however, looks at home in these new styled duds. Kudos to Renault.
I tend to agree with you. The Twingo looks a heck of a lot better than the forfour (or the fortwo) . I think the designers at smart took something that looks fairly sell-able and made an ugly duckling.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Love the look of the Twingo, compared to the new smart. Very clean and fresh. A mono colored smart might look good.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I sat in a few new Twingos a couple of weeks ago in Paris, it is a nice cheap car with some good features. However the rear seating area is very cramped and the pop open rear windows are not even as good as the rear sliding windows of the Dauphine. Overall it was favourable though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I will say, I love way the press seems to have embraced the rear-enginedness of the Renault.

That never even seems to come up in articles about the 451.

the rear seating area is very cramped.
Interesting because from the reviews, the rear seat room is considered "class leading."

Overall, the Twingo makes the Fortwo look like a potato cart... or a sack of potatoes on a potato cart... or just potatoes.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I can assure you that the rear seat is cramped. It failed the "me behind me" test. However, I am 6'3" tall. It's better than some other small 4 door cars, which is not to say it has ample room for tall passengers in the rear.

·
17,350 Posts
To me, the only thing wrong with the new 453 design is the "long" front end. But it does serve a practical use...

The 451 scored only two stars for pedestrian safety. The new regulations are forcing European automakers to give their cars squared off front ends in the name of pedestrian safety. And obviously, some companies (like Renault) can do it better than others.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
You can put lipstick on a sack of potatoe's. It's still a sack of potatoes. The new 4 door smart still not as nice looking as the Twingo. The Twingo looks more like a coupe, cause they hid the rear door handles up into the C pillar. The front of the new smart looks like they grafted a Mini Paceman front end on it. The Tridon shape doesn't help the looks. The design too broken up., for my taste. I like the interior of the smart better then the Twingo's.

The 451 is a better looking car, compared to the new smart, hands down.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
If smart doesn't bring the forfour here, then maybe the US will get the Nissan variant that looks more like the Twingo exterior and they'll raid the smart parts bin for the interior. That would be a round about way of getting a 'forfour' that has nationwide service/support through Nissan dealers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts