Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I am at work a bit agitated. I will be putting The Harlem Edition in the repair shop today. Although I have a laundry list of repair and or service I would like to get done. I am first having the ABS/Traction control issues chased down. Because that is the most unknown issue it's cost is also unknown. Once the ABS/Traction cost is taken care of we will see what else may come off the list.

Last two days a a vibration my be a front wheel hub bearing issue. I would have both front replaced.

I appear to not need struts or springs but I would replace the top strut mounts. I would go with a set of urethane bushings throughout the suspension.

I suspect my top motor mounts need replacement, I have shaken the muffler bolts loose in the 3500 miles I have on the muffler, I would have that done and replace the airbox resonator with a silicone tube.. .The tube is ordered and I may do the motor mounts and silicone tube myself and replace the muffler bolt type with a spring loaded type to give it additional flex while keeping it tight when not stressed.

I would have the gearbox fluid changed. Also a coolant flush and recharged.

Then there is the 70,000 Mile service that may recommend changing the v belts. Which I would have done.

So in the shop this afternoon (a Tuesday). I expect Friday to know what is what. Mean time keep anything from getting on my nerves until The Harlem Edition is back on the road.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
My Parents always said, when the ash tray is full. It time to trade.

why aren’t you preforming some of the maintenance yourself? Save a lot of mone.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If I'm not mistaken 60k mi is the BIG maintenance. You're 20k mi from the next 30k mi service, another biggy...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol yeah I did not do the 60,000 miles the Same shop had my car at 57,000 miles and advised that it needed nothing at that time but oil changes. Every "but what about", I threw at the shop manager he said... " Nope... Just drive it" So we will see this time, I just dropped it off . It's Tuesday after noon. The Brake system is the 1st priority. Must be fixed must be working properly. Spare no expense. I'll skimp and pinch Penny's elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
You might inform the shop you took your car to. At 60k miles these items, needed to be addressed..

Reset maintenance counter in cluster Grease hinges and locks of doors and hatch

REPLACE THE FOLOWING :
air cleaner element
brake fluid
car key battery
engine oil and filter
flat belt and spark plugs
activated charcoal filter for A/C

CHECK THE FOLOWING :
battery fluid level and condition
body, underside of vehicle and paint for damage
brake system/brake hoses for tightness
central locking system for proper operation
condition of front axle ball joints and boots
condition of steering mechanical components and rubber boots
disk brake pads for lining thickness
engine coolant level and strength
engine, gearbox, tubes and hoses for tightness
exhaust system for tightness and correct fixation
flat belt for condition and wear
headlamp setting, correct if necessary
horn, interior and exterior lights, warning lights, A/C system, seat heating for proper operation
parking brake function
seat belts for damage and proper function

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well I am at work a bit agitated. I will be putting The Harlem Edition in the repair shop today. Although I have a laundry list of repair and or service I would like to get done. I am first having the ABS/Traction control issues chased down. Because that is the most unknown issue it's cost is also unknown. Once the ABS/Traction cost is taken care of we will see what else may come off the list.

Last two days a a vibration my be a front wheel hub bearing issue. I would have both front replaced.

I appear to not need struts or springs but I would replace the top strut mounts. I would go with a set of urethane bushings throughout the suspension.

I suspect my top motor mounts need replacement, I have shaken the muffler bolts loose in the 3500 miles I have on the muffler, I would have that done and replace the airbox resonator with a silicone tube.. .The tube is ordered and I may do the motor mounts and silicone tube myself and replace the muffler bolt type with a spring loaded type to give it additional flex while keeping it tight when not stressed.

I would have the gearbox fluid changed. Also a coolant flush and recharged.

Then there is the 70,000 Mile service that may recommend changing the v belts. Which I would have done.

So in the shop this afternoon (a Tuesday). I expect Friday to know what is what. Mean time keep anything from getting on my nerves until The Harlem Edition is back on the road.
Urethane bushings do cause a harder ride and transmit more noise, the is the trade-off for longevity.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Suspect little else will come off the list. lol... A warped rear driverside drum drag seems to be primary cause of ABS/Traction Control trsigger. If that continues to hold as the issue and I think I will take this oppourtunity to go all in on the brake system with the last time I should have to do that mentality.

I think I have for a happy spot with ride harshnes with the 4 inch side wall tire and 32 lbs air pressure in the front on the car right now. At this point chassis chatter is what I will be chassing I can feel a bit of extra clatter over bumps. Although I believe it is mostly from the strut mounts themselves. I anticipate tightening up the suspension won't be too harsh with the current side wall flex availible. When I go back to the 17 inch low profile act, that will be all about handling Harshness be damned lol. And I cant see getting that set of wheels untill next spring. As next years 2022 season goal is the run as many track night events as I can.

In the mean time my little one is in here.........

Hang in there little buddy.

Not to Mention the Harlem Edition Support Vehicle.... HESV.....
Needs some labor entensive work also...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I Suspect little else will come off the list. lol... A warped rear driverside drum drag seems to be primary cause of ABS/Traction Control trsigger. If that continues to hold as the issue and I think I will take this oppourtunity to go all in on the brake system with the last time I should have to do that mentality.

I think I have for a happy spot with ride harshnes with the 4 inch side wall tire and 32 lbs air pressure in the front on the car right now. At this point chassis chatter is what I will be chassing I can feel a bit of extra clatter over bumps. Although I believe it is mostly from the strut mounts themselves. I anticipate tightening up the suspension won't be too harsh with the current side wall flex availible. When I go back to the 17 inch low profile act, that will be all about handling Harshness be damned lol. And I cant see getting that set of wheels untill next spring. As next years 2022 season goal is the run as many track night events as I can.

In the mean time my little one is in here.........

View attachment 66753

Hang in there little buddy.

Not to Mention the Harlem Edition Support Vehicle.... HESV.....
Needs some labor entensive work also...

View attachment 66754
Nice look'n ride you have there!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice look'n ride you have there!
Appreciate that. 2007 Pontiac Torrent AWD, super loyal car just mint. I will have it as long as I can. Developed a leaking fuel pump may be a lifetime recall item. Remove drive shaft, remove exhaust, drop the, gas tank replace the pump. Then put it all back. That's a lot lol...

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Time to save money. Preform basic service and repair yourself. Smart cars, are really easy to work on. Except replacing the alternator.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely. I felt I needed the professionals to chase this abs traction control issue. So for that a premium cost was expected a accepted... I am the subway in route it up now.

I did get the Forge Silicone intake hose delivered today. And yes that will be a Barr bones DIY install. I will also tell my self it's the beginning of the driver's side rear motor mount repair lol.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I expect you will let us know what the garage found out in detail... Is anything that comes from this inspection going to influence your desire to strengthen the motor in the little guy, and is that goal just for reliability or are you expecting to make some amount of performance enhancements that fall under the heading of while-I-am-in-there-I-might-as-well-as.....?
If you do install neoprene bushings it would be great for you to do a 100 mile followup posting as to changes in ride, handling and noise.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I expect you will let us know what the garage found out in detail... Is anything that comes from this inspection going to influence your desire to strengthen the motor in the little guy, and is that goal just for reliability or are you expecting to make some amount of performance enhancements that fall under the heading of while-I-am-in-there-I-might-as-well-as.....?
If you do install neoprene bushings it would be great for you to do a 100 mile followup posting as to changes in ride, handling and noise.
Nothing to see here......... intial report warpped rear Driver side drum causing drag that is being reported by wheel speed sensor, response is ABS/Traction control disables.
note: On the SmartBall run I did observe that that wheel was not as freely spinning as the
rear passanger side and turning noisy after long runs.

Maybe maybe not...... picking the car up and driving it home is inconclusive as to issue being resolved. Because I picked the car up at 430pm (New York City rush hour) so at no pioint in the 20 mile drive home was I able to sustain 60 MPH for more than 1/4 of a mile ABS/traction Control did not come on in those short burst. Its also pouring down rain lol. It is much better but I still feel some chatter in the break pedal. Time and a long strech of empty road will tell but I have 12 months or 12,000 miles on the 7 hour labor repair. No other issues found with the car and no additional service is sugessted at this time. Drive car and monitor its behavior. Continue regular oil maintanance.

Bay Diagnostic of Brooklyn NY .... motto " If we cant fix it , it ain't broke"

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My ABS/Traction control issue has not been repaired. First time above 55 ABS and Traction control lights came on. Vehicle will return to the Shop.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Harlem Edition is running great. I even drove it in auto mode today remarkably smooth. Unfortunately that driving was on the way to the shop for ABS/Traction control round 2. No stress this time. My feeling is I got untill August to get this issue resolved for the Rally at The Glen. If my foot was the judge it would say the issue was the front right wheel bearing or sticking caliper. The vibration through the brake pedal just feels like that area. Wheel hub/berrings replacement are on my long term to do list so I have no issue if that gets done. Still throwing no codes ABS/Traction lights reset on restart and forward motion of car. When door locks trip, lights go out. Grabby ABS at low speeds hit 55 mph and lights trigger.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Vibration, thought the brake pedal. is Warped brakes.
That's what twcom said in his first post.
Nothing to see here......... intial report warpped rear Driver side drum causing drag that is being reported by wheel speed sensor, response is ABS/Traction control disables.
note: On the SmartBall run I did observe that that wheel was not as freely spinning as the
rear passanger side and turning noisy after long runs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts