Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys! Yesterday while I was charging Mr. Carter, another Smart ED owner who was also charging up approached me to talk about our cars.

During the conversation, he said something that I wanted to verify. He says that if you repeatedly quickly accelerate that the battery will shut off on you.

I didn't understand and asked him to explain. He says that he was at a stop light and quickly accelerated from 0 to 40 to the next stop light. He says that when he did it again to to get the the next stop light, his car sent him a flashing battery shut off warning. He says his car's battery shut off. He says once he coasted to the curb, he turned off the car and was able to immediately turn it back on.

I asked him if it was a one time thing, he says it has happen to him twice before. All of these incidents happened at stop lights. He says that this car was not made for aggressive driving and that the battery is a hazard. :confused:

I'm afraid of this happening on the freeway.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this even possible? If so, what would make this happen so I can avoid it?

I looked for threads on this but didn't find anything. I apologize if this question was asked before.

Thanks,

Cher

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi Guys! Yesterday while I was charging Mr. Carter, another Smart ED owner who was also charging up approached me to talk about our cars.

During the conversation, he said something that I wanted to verify. He says that if you repeatedly quickly accelerate that the battery will shut off on you.

I didn't understand and asked him to explain. He says that he was at a stop light and quickly accelerated from 0 to 40 to the next stop light. He says that when he did it again to to get the the next stop light, his car sent him a flashing battery shut off warning. He says his car's battery shut off. He says once he coasted to the curb, he turned off the car and was able to immediately turn it back on.

I asked him if it was a one time thing, he says it has happen to him twice before. All of these incidents happened at stop lights. He says that this car was not made for aggressive driving and that the battery is a hazard. :confused:

I'm afraid of this happening on the freeway.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this even possible? If so, what would make this happen so I can avoid it?

I looked for threads on this but didn't find anything. I apologize if this question was asked before.

Thanks,

Cher
If this is true, my car would be dead already. I drive very agressively and non of this has happened to my car. You are going to hear lots of negative stuff about the car. Just be happy with your car.

A lady told me to be careful because if the wind blows towards my car I could fly with it.:( They talk just because they have a big mouth that I would like to shut with a fart.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a heavy foot and he freaked me out. I don't accelerate fast too on the street; however, I do on the freeway.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a heavy foot and he freaked me out. I don't accelerate fast too on the street; however, I do on the freeway.
This car handles like a sports car. Don't undermind it!
I use it to get in & out of traffic. I miss the down shift of my Corolla

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL @ shut with a fart... omg

If this is true, my car would be dead already. I drive very agressively and non of this has happened to my car. You are going to hear lots of negative stuff about the car. Just be happy with your car.

A lady told me to be careful because if the wind blows towards my car I could fly with it.:( They talk just because they have a big mouth that I would like to shut with a fart.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I highly doubt Mercedes (who is HUGE on safety) would design a car to shut down after a few jack rabbit starts. Auto manufactures must design autos to be stupid proof (or lawyers have a field day). There is no way Mercedes would design the car to shut off because that in and of itself is a huge safely risk.

The man who talked to you has an issue with his car, or he is full of crap. I would not worry in the slightest, however, I would also not drive with jack rabbit starts due to to the fact that some morons run red lights. It is safest to always check to the left and right and then proceed.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There is a limit on how long you can use the "power" button (floor the pedal) I think it is two minutes. But then you should still be able to drive the car, but you will not have "3-bars" on the dash and will not get full power until things cool down.

·
Registered
527 Posts
said something that I wanted to verify. He says that if you repeatedly quickly accelerate that the battery will shut off on you.
B.S.

I drive my Smart ED like I stole it. Rarely get ECO rating above 40, and it pains me to get above 80 :D.

When 3 bars are showing in the right hand battery meter on the dash, you can use kickdown effectively. Note that on the rare occasion where I hit 2 or less bars, it is not possible to get more than 75% power to the wheels, meaning the kickdown is no longer allowed till recharged. Generally, I've seen this happen on extreme cold days, and when I've gone below 30 on the SOC dial.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I get my car back I'm going to have fun with it. I'm with you guys, I find it hard to believe that this would happen unless something is wrong with the car.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
He says that if you repeatedly quickly accelerate that the battery will shut off on you.
Considering I did this several times back to back, I call bull (or his car is busted). One of my favorite things to do when I first got it was to give people rides around the building at work. When in the back ally (no doors or entry ways, good visibility) I'd floor it to show off the pick up. I did several of those back to back a few times with no issue. My eco rating was sub-teens, but it never crapped out.

Note that on the rare occasion where I hit 2 or less bars, it is not possible to get more than 75% power.
Ditto. And when you get to one bar, it's limited to about 60%, no bars is about 40%. The latter has happened to me twice, under 15% SOC, in very cold weather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts