Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a battery from Walmart today, almost didn't start when I left for work, after shutting it off, voltage dropped quickly to around 11.5 volts within a matter of minutes. Date on battery says Aug 09 so I would guess it is time.

One note to those who are doing this yourself.... open the rear hatch before disconnecting the battery....Much easier to get the new one out of the back if you don't have to tilt a seat forward and climb back there to get the new battery!! :eek::shrug:

car seems much happier now.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
All you need to know about a 451 car battery. Buy one that's vented to the outside. Since it's in a closed interior space. Battery Gasses Need To Be Vented To Outside.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup did that. the elbow was broken on the old battery so I repaired it and reused it on the new one.

they said it would be 2 hours to install the battery...

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since replacing the battery, the car seems to run better, shift better, etc. maybe it needed the new juice for awhile now. Glad I got it replaced before it quit completely.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My 2009 Passion still has the OE battery in it. Just rolled 66,600 miles today on the odometer. The battery still has 19 good starts left in it.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that over the last few years the battery has been run completely down and sat for some time before recharging, and a year ago I replaced the alternator, so it has been abuses lately. that and the fact that I have roughly 117,xxx miles say that it needed replacement. And Minnesota is not a battery friendly state. Cold winters and warm summers... Batteries usually last -5 years on average. And since I don't park in a garage, they get particularly abused. It has been quite a while since I have been stranded with battery problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts