Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have an issue from the tension pull on the flat belt. I am having a squeak at cold start up that only lasts about 10 seconds. I think it is the Secondary air injector motor. But, It got me thinking if it is not what could it be? if it is the tensioner has anyone replaced Thiers

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yup replaced mine, it was seized. Suppose it's possible it was that. Don't buy from the dealer, you can buy the exact same part from places like Rockauto as the original smart part says Gates on it. The one I picked up here from NAPA had Gates on it and the smart/MB part number ground off.

More Information for GATES 39190

I also had to replace my alternator at the same time but mine has 98,000 km and apparently this is a common failure at this milage.

·
17,474 Posts
Mine has that issue sometimes, almost always on really warm days with rain. Thankfully I have that lifetime Merlin warranty! :D

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put some belt dressing on it to see if it quits. it could be the AC belt ( stretch belt) since I did not change that one when I changed the flat belt. That was 30k prior. can't remember the belt size now but I did get a good belt. If it is the belt I will change both this time at 110,000k or when it stops raining here in Ohio

1 - 4 of 4 Posts