Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever done this? I have a small crack on the windshield and thought I should start thinking of ways to reduce the obstruction on the windshield. First I want to install a smaller rearview mirror. Second, I want to see if I can move the hockey puck to the passenger corner or the driver corner even. Maybe even just remove it. Anyone ever do these mods?

possibly change the mirror to one from a mini cooper

Vision care Eye glass accessory Eyewear Rectangle Street light

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check with your insurance company , you may be able to get it replaced for free. I did when my windshield cracked. As far as a smaller mirror I've never seen a smaller mirror than the one we already have. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone ever done this? I have a small crack on the windshield and thought I should start thinking of ways to reduce the obstruction on the windshield. First I want to install a smaller rearview mirror. Second, I want to see if I can move the hockey puck to the passenger corner or the driver corner even. Maybe even just remove it. Anyone ever do these mods?
Thank you guys. Great advice on the insurance.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I had a $250.00 deductible on my windshield once. Then, my smart took a rock off a speeding truck and left a 50 cent-sized mark on the right side of the glass. I called up the shop that my insurance had asked me to go to (35 miles away) but the shop said they will have to see my car to quote the excess for the insurance to cover. Basically, I would be out of $250.00 before the insurance takes over the rest of the bill. Just for kicks, I went to the local auto glass shop in my neighborhood to see what they have. Hearing them quote "$220.00 all in" and "see ya tomorrow?" was music to my ears. Got her done, and a month later, switched my insurance company LOL...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Depends on the insurance company and your state regulations. If I recall correctly, here in NY because of crystal salt use in the winters, insurance companies are required to have full glass coverage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced the mirror with a tiny one and just moved the mirror over the puck to minimize the blockage of view. Eventually when I replace the windshield I’m going to get rid of the puck if it can’t be moves to the corner.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts