Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just took our 2009 Smart ForTwo with under 50,000 miles to a generic mechanic because the engine light had been on and that morning it would not (at first) shift into drive or reverse - later it was fine. They have diagnosed the need for a new throttle body assembly and throttle pedal assembly, and said that it cannot be repaired - cost to replace just over $2000, almost all in parts, very little on labor. Does that sound legit? Any input appreciated!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,234 Posts
Just my .02, but have you asked them to explain how the throttle body and the gas pedal would affect the transmission shifters? Maybe they know something we don't...

Anyway, there is a "transmission relearn/reteach" procedure in the owners manual - I'd try that and see if it fixes the issue. :)

Teaching-in the transmission system:
Stop the vehicle in a safe location.
Move the gear selector lever to park
position P.
Turn off the engine.
Wait at least 30 seconds before
restarting.
Press the brake pedal.
Restart the engine
Three bars instead of P appear in the
multifunction display.
Wait at least 30 seconds.
The transmission is taught in.

PS - might check the 12v battery and make sure it is fully charged and putting out 12+ volts...

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Wow over a $1,000 for a throttle body Assembly. The mechanic, going to charge you another $1k to install it too.If I were you, I’d get a 2nd option, on your car. If it does need a new throttle body. I’d install a good salvage one. Here’s what MB charges for a new one.

Here are a bunch of salvage ones, on ebay. $90-$180. They are pretty easy to install. Just need the new gaskets.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
337 Posts
Definitely does NOT sound legit. You are probably being taken advantage of. Get a wingman to go with you, someone with experience around cars (Dad, brother, bf, etc.) Get two more estimates from garages.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts