Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got done replacing my driver side door lock / latch.

I had to remove the mirror, outside door handle and the outer door panel.
I followed evolution’s instructions for all of the removals. The only problem I had was disconnecting the power to the mirror. There is not a lot of room and the plug was very tightly connected. Once I got the mirror off everything else came off as per the instructions.
I could not find instructions for the actual removal of the lock assembly, but it is pretty much common sense. Remove the three torx screws on the edge of the door. There are three cables you must disconnect. One goes from the outside door handle to the lock; one goes from the lock to the key lock on the outer handle; and one goes from the inside door handle to the lock. Be careful not to damage the cables when removing. The new lock from MB had the cable for the key lock already connected, so you need to reuse the other two original cables. When disconnecting the cable from the indoor handle be very careful not to hit the window with the lock or you will be replacing a window too. The whole job took me a couple of hours but probably could be done quicker if you have experience in removing your panels.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
just got done replacing my driver side door lock / latch.

I had to remove the mirror, outside door handle and the outer door panel.
I followed evolution’s instructions for all of the removals. The only problem I had was disconnecting the power to the mirror. There is not a lot of room and the plug was very tightly connected. Once I got the mirror off everything else came off as per the instructions.
I could not find instructions for the actual removal of the lock assembly, but it is pretty much common sense. Remove the three torx screws on the edge of the door. There are three cables you must disconnect. One goes from the outside door handle to the lock; one goes from the lock to the key lock on the outer handle; and one goes from the inside door handle to the lock. Be careful not to damage the cables when removing. The new lock from MB had the cable for the key lock already connected, so you need to reuse the other two original cables. When disconnecting the cable from the indoor handle be very careful not to hit the window with the lock or you will be replacing a window too. The whole job took me a couple of hours but probably could be done quicker if you have experience in removing your panels.
Great job !! :)

Now, doesn't that feel good knowing you did it yourself and saved BIG $$$$$$ :D

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great job !! :)

Now, doesn't that feel good knowing you did it yourself and saved BIG $$$$$$ :D

Yes it does, the mb parts guy said that if you order that part now, you would have to have them do the install. I ordered the part in June and never heard from mb when the part came in. With all of the confusion of the change over I just didn't inquire about the part until today, come to find out the part was there two week after I ordered it.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Good job. Mine was caked with dirt/dust and was sticking to the point where the door would not latch shut. I removed it and even broke it down a bit more to disassemble the assembly itself (phillips screwdriver I think). Broke everything down as far as it would go, cleaned & lubed. Works like new.

Was your cable broke?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no broken cables. I had an ongoing problem with the door almost from day one. It never seemed to be an issue until this summer when it started to get worse. Sometimes it would take several hard slams to get the door to latch shut. I still have the old lock so I will take it apart and see if I can clean it up and maybe fix it and keep for a spare.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Good job. Mine was caked with dirt/dust and was sticking to the point where the door would not latch shut. I removed it and even broke it down a bit more to disassemble the assembly itself (phillips screwdriver I think). Broke everything down as far as it would go, cleaned & lubed. Works like new.

Was your cable broke?
From what you saw when you broke it down, do you think it would be possible to modify the lock to allow manually locking the door with the key?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I wonder what other parts from Mercedes that they say I must have them install. That doesn't sound right.
yes, it didn't sound right to me either, but I had my part and didn't ask for any clarification.
Seems to me that you should be able to order any part that you want regardless of who does the install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem, where did you order your part from? I'm having problems finding a place to order the drivers side door latch / lock online. Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there!
I have a really stressing problem.

The mechanism of the driver's door lock is apparrently broken.
I can't open the door from either side (in or out), therefore, I can't disassemble the door.

Any idea how I can open the door without having to brake something?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I picked up a 2008 with the pass door that wouldn't stay closed. The latch had developed corrosion and was stuck in the open position. I was able to take it apart and clean and lubricate it so it would work

If the door is stuck closed, you have a worse problem since you can't take it apart unless the door is open. Is it unlocked ? try using the electric locks and the inside door release as the outside handle is run by a cable and maybe is stuck. If that doesn't work, try opening the window and shooting some penetrating oil down towards the area where the latch is on the inside of the door. That may get enough in the latch to let it free up and open. (It will probably make a mess of the window glass)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I picked up a 2008 with the pass door that wouldn't stay closed. The latch had developed corrosion and was stuck in the open position. I was able to take it apart and clean and lubricate it so it would work

If the door is stuck closed, you have a worse problem since you can't take it apart unless the door is open. Is it unlocked ? try using the electric locks and the inside door release as the outside handle is run by a cable and maybe is stuck. If that doesn't work, try opening the window and shooting some penetrating oil down towards the area where the latch is on the inside of the door. That may get enough in the latch to let it free up and open. (It will probably make a mess of the window glass)
The door is unlocked. The problem is that it does not open neither from the outside nor from the inside.

I tried spraying some WD40 throuth the window with no result. WD40 started dripping down from the bottom of the door but the latch is still stuck.

I believe that something is broken in the latch.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The door is unlocked. The problem is that it does not open neither from the outside nor from the inside.

I tried spraying some WD40 throuth the window with no result. WD40 started dripping down from the bottom of the door but the latch is still stuck.

I believe that something is broken in the latch.
The problem with spraying something in the door is that the window track is too far from the latch and the window channel is in the way. If you can not jar it loose by pushing in on the door or pounding on the outside of the door in the area of the latch while somebody pulls on the inside release, then you are screwed. You are going to have to break something, I suspect, whether the latch is broken or just jammed.

This is what I would do, since I am not afraid to break things. I would get a used door latch and outer door handle from ebay or Autobahn smart Parts. By looking at the door latch you can see how it must be manipulated to release it. Then I would cut a hole in the outer handle assembly. The hole has to be big enough to get a tool through and to see what you are doing but not so big it damages the door proper. Then you could make a long thin tool to stick down in the area of the latch to try and release it. Worst case would be if one had to cut a hole in the outer door panel to get to the latch but even then a used door panel is not a big deal.

Interesting problem, certainly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm quite positive that I sprayed on the latch. I removed the passenger's handle to inspect the inside. I removed the outside sealing rubber of the window so I could reach the latch with the nozzle.

I realise that braking a part to access the latch is the only way. The question is WHICH part?

Even if I get access from the top of the latch, I don't know where is the problem and the latch is really compact and the back plate leaves no visual of the inside.

Really mind-blowing damage!

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
to remove the latch block, the screws go in from the outside of the door frame, that is right where the latch meets the striker plate. the door has to be opened to get to it. (As I can remember) Even cutting the outside skin on the door won't get you where you need to be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
to remove the latch block, the screws go in from the outside of the door frame, that is right where the latch meets the striker plate. the door has to be opened to get to it. (As I can remember) Even cutting the outside skin on the door won't get you where you need to be.
The first thing to be done is open the door, which means that the latch must somehow get to the open position!

All the discussion is about how this can be achived... :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
exactly. to get the outside door panel off, you need to have the door open. To get the inside door panel off, the outside one needs to be off.

My guess would be to remove the outside panel y force, it will damage it and even then you may not be able to get the latch released if the lock tab inside the latch is holding it from being released

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia has some good pictures of what it takes to remove the door outside skin.

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=panels&mod=182

or try this

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm quite positive that I sprayed on the latch. I removed the passenger's handle to inspect the inside. I removed the outside sealing rubber of the window so I could reach the latch with the nozzle.

I realise that braking a part to access the latch is the only way. The question is WHICH part?

Even if I get access from the top of the latch, I don't know where is the problem and the latch is really compact and the back plate leaves no visual of the inside.

Really mind-blowing damage!
This is why I suggested you get a replacement latch before you start. That will allow you to see how it works so you can devise a plan to release it. Which part you manipulate will depend on what is wrong with it. If the latch itself is the problem it will be difficult. There is a internal ratchet-type piece that secures the latch in the closed position. That part is released by the door handle pulling on the release lever by way of a cable.

Doable, I think, but going to get messy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts