Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished replacing my smarts motor at 56000 miles with another that had 60000 miles from a friends wrecked smart.
Had the dreaded misfire and burning oil like crazy and then no compression on cylinder 3 then exhaust flex pipe broke.
I disassembled the original engine just to get an idea what may have gone wrong and just to see how the engine was built.
All exhaust valve guides were shot, like really bad and one exhaust valve (#3) missing a chunk. All valves measured the same so am assuming bad/soft valve guides, other than that still hone marks on cylinders, rings perfect and main bearings perfect.
Valve clearance was good on all valves yet and no wear on cams or buckets and no weird marks on cam bearing surfaces.
Thermostat was stuck open? Not sure why that had happened and had noticed it would not warm up last month I drove it?
Engine swap not that big of deal kind of interesting how some of the stuff was put together and thought out easy car to work on once ya do one.
Interesting that there is no transmission pilot bearing/bushing maybe this has been some of the early clutch reverse problems?
After the newer motor was installed the first thing was cylinder misfire on 2 and 3! Oh **** right off the bat and missing. checked plugs and finally did compression check all was good?
So if the #1 cylinder fuel injector is not plugged in the misfire is on cylinder 2&3, ya really! But now it runs great. There always seems to be that one connector you miss.
Had made a set of lowering bolts to drop the engine/cradle and can now see where that makes working on the engine almost easy. If the brake lines were even 3 inches longer it would be even better yet.
All and all I'm really glade to be driving my smart again I have missed driving it for the last couple of months.

·
Registered
610 Posts
So with all else appearing to be in good order on the broken motor.... can that one be rebuilt into a stronger better breathing engine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
High compression... machine the head or have some custom pistons made or a stroker crank and rods...corn juice is e85
Exhaust and intake porting would be beneficial
I like the way you think. I think high compression,
corn juice, open headers. ITB's...
High Compression ..... how? expense vs stock compression rebuild?

What is Corn Juice?

open Headers and exhaust port work?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Slivers............... Would you rebuild the broken engine now that you have looked inside it? And what in your opinion would be a reasonable rebuild
coast point.

Igor Brabus........ Do we want our daily driver on corn juice?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can't speak for everyone but I totally would. Run more timing on corn. I gotta figure out all my other projects and then probably gonna put my skyline on corn.
Slivers............... Would you rebuild the broken engine now that you have looked inside it? And what in your opinion would be a reasonable rebuild
coast point.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
coast point.

Bottom end was in perfect condition.
All it needed was a valve job.
Some one at one time was making silicon valve guides for the exhaust.
New guides, valve seals new exhaust valves and set valve clearance and would be back on the road again.
Had I not had a spare engine I would have rebuilt head.
I'm kind of surprised that someone hasn't set up an exchange a head program, but then again quit the niche market.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,049 Posts
New guides, valve seals new exhaust valves and set valve clearance and would be back on the road again.
I'm kind of surprised that someone hasn't set up an exchange a head program, but then again quit the niche market.
I rebuilt the head on my Fortwo at 36,000 miles. I bought a complete kit from the UK that contained all new valves and hardened valve guides. There was also a gasket set included. I did this over 3 years ago and the kit came from Mollies Classics. They carry some Fortwo stuff but not sure if they still carry the head rebuild kits. https://smartatmollies.com/ The machine work to get the new guides and valves installed and all the shim buckets machined back to spec set me back around $300. The kit if I remember correctly was like $525 and there was a small import tax fee, but they sent it and it arrived in 2 days. I had a misfire on cylinder 3 and I too found the valve guides completely worn out on cylinder 3. The other 2 cylinders were starting to get play in them as well which can cause multiple misfires. I would not have noticed the misfire as soon as I did if it were not for the CEL. Mine wasn't to the point of being noticeable to me yet. Getting the timing chain installed was the most difficult because it was hard to see from an angle as I only dropped my engine down as opposed to removing it. DCO

·
Registered
313 Posts
All exhaust valve guides were shot, like really bad and one exhaust valve (#3) missing a chunk. All valves measured the same so am assuming bad/soft valve guides, other than that still hone marks on cylinders, rings perfect and main bearings perfect.
Valve clearance was good on all valves yet and no wear on cams or buckets and no weird marks on cam bearing surfaces.

I'm wondering if the defective valve guide issue is limited to certain years of smart. What is your model year and build date?

Good to hear it wasn't due to valve clearances.

~toaster

·
Registered
610 Posts
https://losangelesmachineshop.com/smart-car-1-0-dohc-12v-3-cylinder-valve-job/

With your knowledge, what do you think of this ad.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Slivers,.... When I talked to my shop about a possible new cylinder head for my Smart in the future, that would be ported. He asked my to insure that such the ported head would not set off and check engine codes. and that when dealing with a California shop to make sure they understand that it would be for a New York emissions car.

Two questions. do you believe the Smart Engine could benefit from a ported head? And would they same ported head be different in California and New York emissions testing?

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_156532854738213&key=e55a9a4f3d6c8ae7418020fe4d6ca5da&libId=jz3o218s01000b5e000DA3ljjy9f&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.smartcarofamerica.com%2Fforums%2Ff4%2Freplaced-motor-somethings-ponder-154820%2Findex2.html&v=1&opt=true&out=https%3A%2F%2Flosangelesmachineshop.com%2Fsmart-car-1-0-dohc-12v-3-cylinder-valve-job%2F&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.smartcarofamerica.com%2Fforums%2Ff4%2Freplaced-motor-somethings-ponder-154820%2F&title=Replaced%20motor%20somethings%20to%20ponder.%20-%20Page%202%20-%20Smart%20Car%20Forums&txt=https%3A%2F%2Flosangelesmachineshop.com%2Fsm...der-valve-job%2F

1 - 12 of 12 Posts