Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all new replacement body panels now in primer? No molded in color available? My front tow hook cover fell off. I called Penske Smart where I bought it and they can only provide it to me in primer at $15. I can paint it, how ever a pint of gloss black paint with reducer and hardener will probably cost $60-80. Then it will be subject to chipping and showing the color under the paint. I was hoping to just order a new one molded in black and pop it on. Any other smart dealers have different info on this?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well, i know body panels used colored molded plastic... but i don't remember anything about the small caps being the same way.

And... I may be mistaken, but didn't they do away with that with the 453? I thought all panels on the 453 were now painted instead of molded? Or is it the same as it was on the 451, where only the metallic colors are painted?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, i know body panels used colored molded plastic... but i don't remember anything about the small caps being the same way.

And... I may be mistaken, but didn't they do away with that with the 453? I thought all panels on the 453 were now painted instead of molded? Or is it the same as it was on the 451, where only the metallic colors are painted?
My understanding is that all the 453 panels are now in Primer when you buy them. It really sucks. Tho when I got the replacement grille for mine, it was already black like the one that came on my car. Its a slightly different material tho than the body panels.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I would be tempted to install an offset front license plate holder that requires the toe-hook cover be removed to install the attaching hardware. These are available from Smartmadness.
I have heard from a few other 453 owner's that their front toe hook cover fell off. You might see if you can get your warranty to replace this for you.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have heard from a few other 453 owner's that their front toe hook cover fell off. You might see if you can get your warranty to replace this for you.
Yep, came out to my 453 one day last Summer and my cover was half off. One of the tabs looked like it had been bent a bit. Haven't been back to dealer yet.

·
aka 'smart-1'
1,978 Posts
I would be tempted to install an offset front license plate holder that requires the toe-hook cover be removed to install the attaching hardware. These are available from Smartmadness.
Might need a foot doctor for that one... :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yea, was going to suggest that too...

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
My front tow hook cover fell off... I was told it would be like $85 to replace it because they need to be painted.

F that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The dealer replaced three or four on my 453, they all had to be painted. The cause of them being lost is that air pressure pushes the bumper cover back against the steel bumper support and pops the cover off. I fixed the problem by placing some stiff foam spacers behind the bumper cover, above and below the tow hook plug, and never had the problem again.

·
17,479 Posts
Yea, was going to suggest that too...
I'd love to do that, but alas my car already has the license plate holder doohickey already drilled into the front bumper. I don't even want to know how much a new front bumper would cost.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer replaced three or four on my 453, they all had to be painted. The cause of them being lost is that air pressure pushes the bumper cover back against the steel bumper support and pops the cover off. I fixed the problem by placing some stiff foam spacers behind the bumper cover, above and below the tow hook plug, and never had the problem again.
Thanks for the tip. Stuck some foam behind the bumper because my replacement cover almost fell off also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are all new replacement body panels now in primer? No molded in color available? My front tow hook cover fell off. I called Penske Smart where I bought it and they can only provide it to me in primer at $15. I can paint it, how ever a pint of gloss black paint with reducer and hardener will probably cost $60-80. Then it will be subject to chipping and showing the color under the paint. I was hoping to just order a new one molded in black and pop it on. Any other smart dealers have different info on this?
I had my front tow cover stolen off my car while at work. 453 lava orange. I ordered one from Smart Center of Clearwater, FL, for $9.70 and they told me it would come in primer. It came in in less than a week and the 'primer' color is actually a satin- shiny black color. I did order the touch up paint..but actually like the look of the black..don't know that I want to pay $50 to have it painted at a body shop. The black matches my grill and trim. For now I will leave it like it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I mistated..the cover came from Smart Center/Lokey Mercedes of Clearwater and is actually molded solid color black. My rear cover is orange painted with white base plastic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts