Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a replacement coil pack that is better or worse for a 2008? There is more choice than I expected when I did a search.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I really don’t how you could rate them for performance. I would just replace them with the OEM one. Is there something wrong with the ones in your now? They are expensive. Here‘s a list of coil packs from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I really don’t how you could rate them for performance. I would just replace them with the OEM one. Is there something wrong with the ones in your now? Here‘s a list of coil packs from Rock Auto.

Amen to that advice.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I CAN NOT recommend smartmadness coil packs. .
I believed the hype and liked the price. I should have known better But I bought a set of three.
Out of the three I bought from smartmadness a 1/3 failed on me in less than 2500 miles
The bad coil pac caused a cylinder 2 misfire end of last year. Glad I was home and not traveling.
Issue corrected once I put the original coil packs back in.
So I guess I have two good ones? That I could sell you if you want.
Don't know if I would trust them though.
If smart would like to address this matter
I would welcome their input.
Good Luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why am I asking? Because one of them stopped working.

Who is talking about performance? I am talking about whether it is going to last more than a month or whether my car will run like crap with them or whether they last longer than OE.

Expensive? I have spent the last three years trying to make a Lancia Delta Integrale that had been sitting under a carport for a decade reliable. Nothing on the smart is expensive in comparison (and I (personally) replaced the smart’s transmission, clutch, and TCU over Thanksgiving).

And, thank you, yes, I looked on RockAuto. That is my point. There is a wide choice/price range there for nominally OE grade parts

As far as just getting OE, since the engine is from Mitsubishi, there are probably less expensive sources for the exact same part.

I really don’t how you could rate them for performance. I would just replace them with the OEM one. Is there something wrong with the ones in your now? They are expensive. Here‘s a list of coil packs from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try the ones from Smart Madness. :)
Do you have experience with them? I ordered a set that appear to be from the same OE as the Smart Madness ones (before seeing Jo's note).

Being a former owner of multiple VW Mk4 Golfs, I have had to deal with bad coil packs on several occasions and I am surprised that we have gone 110k miles on our smart before seeing a coil pack failure on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FWIW, I replaced my original 2008 coils around 155k miles with the smart madness ones. I have roughly 10k on them and the car seems to drive a tad better although I also changed the plugs, so multiple variables.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts