Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

As you know any parts for a smart car have to be ordered through the dealership.

I got a crack in my front windshield that goes about halfway across.

Guess how much the new windshield is going to cost.

Go on, guess. Give up?

Eight hundred dollars.

Eight hundred.

I sh*t you not.

The side glass got smashed in so someone could steal all my stuff, guess how much that one is going to cost. Only ONE hundred dollars.

Wow.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.....AND don't forget the labor to INSTALL IT!!! :eek:
Yeah that's just the cost for the sheet of glass.

I wanted to write a letter to smart about this problem and the fact that so many people are getting cracked windshields and the fact that the glass can cost up to a thousand dollars.

However I couldn't find a mailing address for smart online and when I called the phone monkey couldn't get one either.

Does anyone have a mailing address for smart?

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Get a few more cars into the US and you will be able to get aftermarket glass. Give it time!! This is why many get 100% glass coverage from their insurance company.

·
Super Moderator
29,363 Posts
Yeah that's just the cost for the sheet of glass.

I wanted to write a letter to smart about this problem and the fact that so many people are getting cracked windshields and the fact that the glass can cost up to a thousand dollars.

However I couldn't find a mailing address for smart online and when I called the phone monkey couldn't get one either.

Does anyone have a mailing address for smart?
You can write them at:

smart USA Distributor LLC
2555 Telegraph Road
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302-0954
:)

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
smart USA
1765 Telegraph Road
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302-0954

They hid this in plain sight on there web site, are you missing something else as well?
karl

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi folks,

As you know any parts for a smart car have to be ordered through the dealership.

I got a crack in my front windshield that goes about halfway across.

Guess how much the new windshield is going to cost.

Go on, guess. Give up?

Eight hundred dollars.

Eight hundred.

I sh*t you not.

The side glass got smashed in so someone could steal all my stuff, guess how much that one is going to cost. Only ONE hundred dollars.

Wow.
Looks like Safelite AutoGlass can install it for $487.95 (at least in Santa Clara, CA)

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
Maybe it's just state by state? In Florida, comprehensive auto insurance covers windshield replacement 100%. Is there some way this doesn't apply to the smart?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am guessing the $800 you were told was replacing the rain sensor as well. A skilled glass guy can get this done with out replacing the sensor.

We have replaced about 2 dozen here and have yet to replace a sensor.

$402.52 for the glass and $145.00 for install. Still not cheap but coming from a Lexus dealership and the average windshield was $1400.00 this is not too bad.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am guessing the $800 you were told was replacing the rain sensor as well. A skilled glass guy can get this done with out replacing the sensor.

We have replaced about 2 dozen here and have yet to replace a sensor.

$402.52 for the glass and $145.00 for install. Still not cheap but coming from a Lexus dealership and the average windshield was $1400.00 this is not too bad.

The only problem is that the service guide states the sensor MUST be replaced. Knowing you've had success reusing the sensor would make me try it with my own smart (especially if it was out of pocket), but to do it "by the book" we've been replacing the sensors here. I wonder why smart says this anyway?

·
Registered
293 Posts
A windshield for an FJ Cruiser was $1150 when it was new.
Consider it a bargain!
Couldn't have said it better myself. I worked for Toyota before smart and the FJ's windshield was the only windshield we stocked. I'm guessing they break more often because they sit so straight up, very little lean to help deflect rocks instead of taking the impact head on. They should take a tip from tank armor!:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only problem is that the service guide states the sensor MUST be replaced. Knowing you've had success reusing the sensor would make me try it with my own smart (especially if it was out of pocket), but to do it "by the book" we've been replacing the sensors here. I wonder why smart says this anyway?

True the manual does say to replace the sensor. And I always warn the guest and insurance company in advance that it may need to be replaced. Maybe we have been lucky but so far have not had to replace a damaged one yet.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Maybe it's just state by state? In Florida, comprehensive auto insurance covers windshield replacement 100%. Is there some way this doesn't apply to the smart?
It applies to the smart as well! I know it does.. cracked windshield on the highway @75 mph... Just heard that dead ping! and saw the glass start to go!!!! Ins covered it and had it done at home in about an hour... I had to help the guy since he had never done a smart before. turned out to be pretty easy.:)

Mine did not have the hockey puck sensor so no issue there!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yep, go with Safelite, they'll come to your home or office and install it right in the driveway.

Don't go to the dealership.
Safelite or any other glass company coming to your house or work is by far more convenient, but they still have to get the glass from the dealership until an aftermarket windshield is produced. As more of these cars hit the road we'll see both more alternatives and cheaper prices. That's what I witnessed at Toyota at least. I wonder what the magic number is of registered cars is before manufacturing these parts starts. K&N finally alerted me they plan on releasing an air filter in 3 weeks. I hope it happens.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts