Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ace Hardware, in my city. Now carries all brand auto key fobs. Including the smart car.
They run from $24-$50. They will program the fob, to your VIN number. Some fobs have to be special order. It looks like they don’t carry anything, for the 453 models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ace Hardware, in my city. Now carries all brand auto key fobs. Including the smart car.
They run from $24-$50. They will program the fob, to your VIN number. Some fobs have to be special order. It looks like they don’t carry anything, for the 453 models.

I had to get a new one and cost me 350.00 total. Thats the FOB and programming. Im in Las Vegas. I call around and no one had one or would attempt to get one. All said the programming had to be done by Mercedes.....UGH!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I had to get a new one and cost me 350.00 total. Thats the FOB and programming. Im in Las Vegas. I call around and no one had one or would attempt to get one. All said the programming had to be done by Mercedes.....UGH!
We should consider ourselves lucky.
Fletcher Jones Imports still works on smarts and you can still get parts through them.
Only one of ten or twelve places in the whole United States that still has parts and service.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've called around to my local (N. Illinois area) ACE hardware stores, the standard price for the FOB + cutting + programming seems to be $212.99, which while cheaper that the dealership, it's still pretty dang expensive. Not all ACE have the capability.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Indy Mercedes dealer wants $459 for the fob (from Germany) and $110 to program for a 2018 453. Unf#@king believable. They didn’t even flinch when they priced it.
I considered ordering after market and trying to get a locksmith to cut and program it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Most locksmiths that I have found in this area will not guarantee the fob to work if you don't purchase it from them. Because the smart 453 wasn't sold in great quantities, a lot of independent locksmiths do not have the ability to program even if they can cut the key.
Good luck keep us updated.

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Indy Mercedes dealer wants $459 for the fob (from Germany) and $110 to program for a 2018 453. Unf#@king believable. They didn’t even flinch when they priced it.
I considered ordering after market and trying to get a locksmith to cut and program it.
That sounds right! Those little pieces of plastic a aluminum. Are gold. You don’t loose them!!!
I paid less. Are they coming in pairs?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts