Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2008 Smart used, old owner only had 1 key. I want to get a replacement key just in case I lose the only key I have.

I called Smart/Mercedes and they said to order key and program it will cost about $320. Is there another way than paying this outrageous price?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Unfortunately that's the price of modern cars with smart keys. Far from being unique to the smart car. Do a search on the forum and you will find suggestions about reducing the cost a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Locksmith would be the better option as you compare the rates of the Dealer.I recently lost my BMW key and i called locksmith to get the key for the car.It cost me $150 for the new one and the dealer costs me around $400 for it. So i always prefer to consult first with Locksmith if i ever need of repairing locks.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Here's a post of mine from Oct 2011 when I ordered a spare key.

Note: a spare key consists of purchasing the 1) metal blank, 2) FOB, and 3) programming FOB to the car.

When I found out that the $45 I paid for the blank is really a set of 2 blanks I demanded that I be given the 2nd blank - because I paid for it. At least it can be used to manually unlock the drivers door.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a new key from Ebay and took it to Maryland Locksmith where I live along with the car and the cut and programmed for $80.00

·
Registered
5 Posts
low prices key

i know a friend make all cut key and program key call this number 513-954-1678 will give you a good price

·
Registered
96 Posts
i know a friend make all cut key and program key call this number 513-954-1678 will give you a good price
Do you have to take the car to him? I have just one key and I'd really need to get another, but I was told you must take the care to the dealership or locksmith. The dealership I called wanted $400.00 and the locksmith wanted $280.00. That's nuts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My local locksmith made a key for me. I has enough electronics to start and run the car, but it doesn't have any lock/unlock buttons.

I'm OK with that.
Much better than the $400 the dealership wanted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
low prices key

yes , need to bring the car AND let him know first after he order key phone number send message 513-954-1678 what is you number i let him send you message

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have to take the car to him? I have just one key and I'd really need to get another, but I was told you must take the care to the dealership or locksmith. The dealership I called wanted $400.00 and the locksmith wanted $280.00. That's nuts.

what is you number i let him send you message and call you

·
Registered
5 Posts
do you have to take the car to him? I have just one key and i'd really need to get another, but i was told you must take the care to the dealership or locksmith. The dealership i called wanted $400.00 and the locksmith wanted $280.00. That's nuts.
i ask him , he said 150$ with 2 years warranty

1 - 20 of 28 Posts