Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I kept the motive battery between 50% and 70% during those periods. [JoeReid]
But you had to have been there to adjust the charge, always a tedious process with the Smarty who is not smart enough to see any choice other than 100% charge. My float charger has thin wires feeding the 12v battery so I think I'll simply close the pass window on them rather than try to find proper access. This should work ok for periods when the car is left alone for weeks at a time.
--

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced the original 12 volt battery in my 2013 ED this morning. The replacement I used is a ACDelco LN1H. I bought it from Wheeler Bros., Inc. in Somerset, PA (866-439-2329) for $105 shipping included. It is not only an exact fit but appears to be made by the same manufacturer as can be seen in the images. There are vent holes on both sides so you will have to use the plug from your original battery on the side closest to the front of the car. The only difference I can notice it that the new battery does not have the electrolyte level window on top and the warrantee is full replacement for 30 months and I believe the OEM battery is only warranteed for 12 months and costs more than twice as much. The most difficult part of the replacement was lifting the old battery out. It is way down in the passenger side foot well and I’m an old guy with a bad back. You may notice that I added a charging cable so I can use a Battery Minder (smart maintainer) when the car is not expected to be driven for more than a week or two. When the installation was complete everything worked as with the OEM battery including the radio station memories. Thanks to Len and Jim Sokoloff for encouraging me to make this replacement before my original battery died and possibly bricked my motive battery. View attachment 63614 View attachment 63615 View attachment 63616 View attachment 63617
For you data fanatics out there, attached find the discharge curve for the original 12 volt battery I replaced recently. It is just over 7 years old and it's current capacity is just about half of the original claimed. Just before I replaced it the no load voltage was 12.5 when it had not been driven or charged for more than 12 hours. It probably would have continued to be useful for some time to come but I am more comfortable knowing that I have a battery that is less likely to be a problem in the near future.
I replaced the original 12 volt battery in my 2013 ED this morning. The replacement I used is a ACDelco LN1H. I bought it from Wheeler Bros., Inc. in Somerset, PA (866-439-2329) for $105 shipping included. It is not only an exact fit but appears to be made by the same manufacturer as can be seen in the images. There are vent holes on both sides so you will have to use the plug from your original battery on the side closest to the front of the car. The only difference I can notice it that the new battery does not have the electrolyte level window on top and the warrantee is full replacement for 30 months and I believe the OEM battery is only warranteed for 12 months and costs more than twice as much. The most difficult part of the replacement was lifting the old battery out. It is way down in the passenger side foot well and I’m an old guy with a bad back. You may notice that I added a charging cable so I can use a Battery Minder (smart maintainer) when the car is not expected to be driven for more than a week or two. When the installation was complete everything worked as with the OEM battery including the radio station memories. Thanks to Len and Jim Sokoloff for encouraging me to make this replacement before my original battery died and possibly bricked my motive battery. View attachment 63614 View attachment 63615 View attachment 63616 View attachment 63617
For those data fanatics out there, attached find the discharge curve for the 12 volt battery that I replaced recently. It is just over 7 years old and showed 12.5 volts with no load and not having been driven or charged in more that 12 hours. It probably would have continued to provide good service for the near future but I feel more confident that the new one will provide worry free service far longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I usually charge to about 85% with a timer. Using the 1kw 117 volt supply it charges at very close to 4 miles per hour so I set the timer by how many miles I need to replace to get to 85% SOC. When I know I won't be using the car for an extended period I just schedule my last trip to leave me with 50 to 70% remaining charge when I get home. Then I connect my Battery Minder (4 mode smart charger) and leave it on for weeks or months (NJ winters are long and salty) as necessary. I see you are a vintage cycle enthusiast. I have a 1982 Honda CBX which is ridden regularly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks. In the slow position, 2 of 4 lit, any decent timer should be able to handle the current, so I'll try the one I saw at Walmart.

Suz 650 here but only 4cyl. Once I drove a VR though back when I was a kid. :D
--

21 - 25 of 25 Posts