Smart Car of America Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drinking the cool-air-aid. I was able the source the same fan except under the imperial brand from Advance auto. Made some brackets using and old metal files drawer dividers doubled up. and a sheet metal screw in the bracket as the tab to hold the fan in place. Then used self tapping metal screws to hold it in. There seems to be an alum. bar under the plastic on the top and the plastic on the bottom proved a good grip for the screws.

I was about to use spade connectors to the original fans pigtails, but decided to cut it off and solder the leads together. If I have to bring the car to Smart and have them do the "official & correct" repair having the reconnect the original pigtail should not cost that much more.

I purchased the Autool X50 PLUS Multi-Function Car OBD Smart Digital Meter & Alarm from amazon and watched the temp. So far so good and the fan comes on with the AC as it should.

My one main concern. The original fan was still semi functional but was making noise. so even though it's not under power when the new fan pushed air past it it's still going to spin, and would not that spinning cause any rubbing and rad damage?

In my limited testing i do not hear it moving so we'll see. The repair is a sound mod and and the wires of the original fan and the after-market are the same gauge so i do not feel the new fan will overload the cars electrical system.
UPDATE: It has been a year and everything has been working well. The Autool dector took a dump a week or so in, so I returned it to amazon. and it been working well. Summer and winter. hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I am planning to attempt the fan mod/hack with a 12" fan. I'm looking at the recent pictures provided by Ervie7 and tim_arkansas using zip ties to secure the fan, but am still confused as to how this was achieved. all the videos ive seen regarding fan installation has the zip ties being pushed through and secured from behind the radiator, but it seems like the back of the radiator cannot be reached in this case. are you guys just looping the zip ties around the surrounding support, not pushing them through the radiator?
Zip ties seems more complicated than fashioning some brackets and screwing it in. Also more difficult to get through ac and rad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can see why the dealer wants $500 for the job. Not only does the coolant have to be drained, so does the A/C system. I have all the steps in PDF form. If you're interested, PM me your email address and I'll send them along.
Can you forward the steps in replacing the radiator fan? I am having to do this job as well.

·
Registered
2009 fortwo 451
16 Posts
This job is a doozy, good thing I work on cars for a living, or I wouldn't have had access to the a/c recovery equipment. On mine I took an old fan/shroud I had replaced on my father in laws 451, and used it. Modified it to fit a 1050CFM, I think, aftermarket fan. Shaved it down and 4 bolts later it was done. If I remember, and have time, I will try and post pics of my handiwork.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So i was actually able to complete the fan mod yesterday. I used thick zip ties looped around the metal frame to secure the fan to the radiator on 4 sides. I followed the instructions to remove the front panel here: Front panel

removing the front panel turned out to be the easiest part... I had difficulty unplugging the old radiator fan plug. I located it quickly as it had the orange and red wires, but even with the front low pan lowered it was difficult to reach in. was impossible to unplug by hand, somehow managed to use a flathead screwdriver to trigger the plug release after 45 minutes of fiddling... to anyone else having trouble, you may just want to cut the damn wires and solder it to the new fan wires seeing as there is plenty of wire length. ended up crimping the new fan connectors to slide right into the plug and securing with electric tape.

everything appears to work great and is secure. remember to reverse polarity for dual push/pull fans so that it's pushing.

·
Registered
2009 fortwo 451
16 Posts
This job is a doozy, good thing I work on cars for a living, or I wouldn't have had access to the a/c recovery equipment. On mine I took an old fan/shroud I had replaced on my father in laws 451, and used it. Modified it to fit a 1050CFM, I think, aftermarket fan. Shaved it down and 4 bolts later it was done. If I remember, and have time, I will try and post pics of my handiwork.
IMG_20200508_215118584.jpg

As promised, here are the pics of my handiwork.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings,

Does anyone have the PDF information on the steps? I am currently working on it and I just want to make sure I am on the right track. Thanks :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I did the whole job. The Mercedes way, that is to say, I removed everything (and yes, I have a refrigerant recovery machine and a vacuum cooling system filler), replaced the fan with the OEM Behr/Hella part and put everything back together, using the evilution.co.uk pages as guides.
Several things you need to be aware of:
1) The windshield wipers are a MATERIAL issue if they're as stuck as mine were. I ended up buying a specific wiper puller from Amazon after the two pullers I had didn't fit.
2) There are more wires down there than Evilution mentions, namely be mindful of the foglight wires and the external temp sensor. The clips will leave markings in the plastic which will let you know where they go back to on reassembly
3) Hilariously, my car does NOT have the foam filler in front of the metal crash member. From the amount of dirt/dust, it seems like the factory never bothered to install it (!) - does anyone have a part no. for a 2013 US car?
4) On reassembly, the T30s that go into the Tridion by the mirrors were VERY difficult to put back in, with the driverside one positively locked tight. Is there a trick to this? I would have thought these would be the easiest to put in
5) The sideskirts are a pain in the rear end of colossal proportion. I also seem to be missing a pin (the black two-part ones that go in front of the rear tire and elsewhere - does anyone have a part no. for those?

All in all the job is much more difficult than it should be but not particularly obnoxious, If the dealership charges six hours for it, they won't be beating the book by much.

·
Registered
2009 fortwo 451
16 Posts
Well, I did the whole job. The Mercedes way, that is to say, I removed everything (and yes, I have a refrigerant recovery machine and a vacuum cooling system filler), replaced the fan with the OEM Behr/Hella part and put everything back together, using the evilution.co.uk pages as guides.
Several things you need to be aware of:
1) The windshield wipers are a MATERIAL issue if they're as stuck as mine were. I ended up buying a specific wiper puller from Amazon after the two pullers I had didn't fit.
2) There are more wires down there than Evilution mentions, namely be mindful of the foglight wires and the external temp sensor. The clips will leave markings in the plastic which will let you know where they go back to on reassembly
3) Hilariously, my car does NOT have the foam filler in front of the metal crash member. From the amount of dirt/dust, it seems like the factory never bothered to install it (!) - does anyone have a part no. for a 2013 US car?
4) On reassembly, the T30s that go into the Tridion by the mirrors were VERY difficult to put back in, with the driverside one positively locked tight. Is there a trick to this? I would have thought these would be the easiest to put in
5) The sideskirts are a pain in the rear end of colossal proportion. I also seem to be missing a pin (the black two-part ones that go in front of the rear tire and elsewhere - does anyone have a part no. for those?

All in all the job is much more difficult than it should be but not particularly obnoxious, If the dealership charges six hours for it, they won't be beating the book by much.
I agree on it being harder than necessary. The side skirts were the worst part imo, because the clips are so fragile. Good thing I got to practice on my father in laws first lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bhutto????

If you mean ghetto, with the front end in place, you can't see the difference, and I have an extra $600 in my pocket.

With 80K miles on my car, I'm looking at setting the cash aside for the next car.
Was wondering how to do the same thing to my 2010 smartfor2 passion. Specifically the wiring of the new fan into the old fan wiring

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought all the parts and had my local shop do it for me. They did not rake me over the coals in labor costs. I did pay for access to Evilution. That has a wealth of good information.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had to do this on my 09 cabrio not long after I got it.
The previous owner had a aftermarket fan on the front so I just swapped it and did the brackets(so far no issues there)
Only problem is I need a code scanner to clear the code as the old fan had seized up causing it to draw more amps then it needed.
As a temporary fix I wired in a fused relay feed to the power of the fan so it’s on when the key is till I can get the code cleared.(first car that’s not used a relay on the cooling fan and I plan on fixing that once the code is cleared)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ok anyone who reads this.
For future fan issues (eg seized motor) you will need to get the code cleared in the Sam unit to get factory functionality of the fan back.
Had a buddy of mine use his scan tool to clear the code on mine today and connected the fan back up to the car before starting it.
Fan works great and kicks on when needed.
My old fan had got so bad you couldn’t turn it by hand much less under its own power.

failed fan= code in Sam unit

·
Registered
6 Posts
the fan unit sits behind the radiator/condenser,which go in from the front of the car. The front bumper also needs to come out with the airbag sensors attached, and the whole front sub panel where the lights attach to.

When my fan broke, I opted for an aftermarket cooling fan mounted to the front side of the radiator and wired it into the original fan wiring. I have a scangauge to keep an eye on the coolant temps and it hasn't had a problem, even when the temps hit over 100 outside. Total cost for parts was about $50, and a couple of handmade brackets, about 2 hours of time (working in my neighbor"s driveway)

I left the old unit in there as I didn't want to mess with the refrigerant recharge, etc. And the 200 plus miles to the dealer
(each way)

also, notice the dual horns...

For some reason it isnt showing the photos. I would like to see the way you mounted the new fan and possibly the fan part number if you have it. Thank you. [email protected]

·
Registered
233 Posts
I can do that but it’s really not that hard to do the install.
The fan I used is a 800 cam fan with a 10amp starting draw 8 amp continuous.(tested on the bench before putting in the car)
I can post the link but I got it from a local parts store.
You’ll still need to get the fan code cleared before it will work though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the fan unit sits behind the radiator/condenser,which go in from the front of the car. The front bumper also needs to come out with the airbag sensors attached, and the whole front sub panel where the lights attach to.

When my fan broke, I opted for an aftermarket cooling fan mounted to the front side of the radiator and wired it into the original fan wiring. I have a scangauge to keep an eye on the coolant temps and it hasn't had a problem, even when the temps hit over 100 outside. Total cost for parts was about $50, and a couple of handmade brackets, about 2 hours of time (working in my neighbor"s driveway)

I left the old unit in there as I didn't want to mess with the refrigerant recharge, etc. And the 200 plus miles to the dealer
(each way)

also, notice the dual horns...

Hi, the photos cant be seen, can you email photos of install and a part number to the fan you used if possible? Thanks [email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can do that but it’s really not that hard to do the install.
The fan I used is a 800 cam fan with a 10amp starting draw 8 amp continuous.(tested on the bench before putting in the car)
I can post the link but I got it from a local parts store.
You’ll still need to get the fan code cleared before it will work though.
Sorry, I didnt see where you sent the other repair.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You will need to remove the front body panels which isn’t as hard to remove as your thinking.
The front clip doesn’t have to be removed to do it this way.
To install the fan(I’ll have to look for the link in my history on my phone but I’ll find it for the fan)
I used a metal strip about roughly five feet long(did extra just in case) and held the new fan in front of the a/c condenser to determine how long the strips needed to be them cut and bent them to fit and used screws to hold them to the front clip around the radiator to secure the new fan.(used two of them to hold the fan at the bottom as I had lost two of the retaining parts that came with the fan)
Afterwards I put the shroud back in place before I connected it to the car(making sure I got the connections right)
Made a temporary connection for power till I got my buddy to clear the code.(also to make sure the fan spins in the correct direction)
It’s the 800 cfm one from oreillys and it works really great.
I’ll post the link for the fan once I find it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. After I sent that message I went to look at another one we have in the garage and determined the front will have to come off.
Im thinking about using this fan.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts