Smart Car of America Forum banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drinking the cool-air-aid. I was able the source the same fan except under the imperial brand from Advance auto. Made some brackets using and old metal files drawer dividers doubled up. and a sheet metal screw in the bracket as the tab to hold the fan in place. Then used self tapping metal screws to hold it in. There seems to be an alum. bar under the plastic on the top and the plastic on the bottom proved a good grip for the screws.

I was about to use spade connectors to the original fans pigtails, but decided to cut it off and solder the leads together. If I have to bring the car to Smart and have them do the "official & correct" repair having the reconnect the original pigtail should not cost that much more.

I purchased the Autool X50 PLUS Multi-Function Car OBD Smart Digital Meter & Alarm from amazon and watched the temp. So far so good and the fan comes on with the AC as it should.

My one main concern. The original fan was still semi functional but was making noise. so even though it's not under power when the new fan pushed air past it it's still going to spin, and would not that spinning cause any rubbing and rad damage?

In my limited testing i do not hear it moving so we'll see. The repair is a sound mod and and the wires of the original fan and the after-market are the same gauge so i do not feel the new fan will overload the cars electrical system.
UPDATE: It has been a year and everything has been working well. The Autool dector took a dump a week or so in, so I returned it to amazon. and it been working well. Summer and winter. hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I am planning to attempt the fan mod/hack with a 12" fan. I'm looking at the recent pictures provided by Ervie7 and tim_arkansas using zip ties to secure the fan, but am still confused as to how this was achieved. all the videos ive seen regarding fan installation has the zip ties being pushed through and secured from behind the radiator, but it seems like the back of the radiator cannot be reached in this case. are you guys just looping the zip ties around the surrounding support, not pushing them through the radiator?
Zip ties seems more complicated than fashioning some brackets and screwing it in. Also more difficult to get through ac and rad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can see why the dealer wants $500 for the job. Not only does the coolant have to be drained, so does the A/C system. I have all the steps in PDF form. If you're interested, PM me your email address and I'll send them along.
Can you forward the steps in replacing the radiator fan? I am having to do this job as well.

·
Registered
2009 fortwo 451
15 Posts
This job is a doozy, good thing I work on cars for a living, or I wouldn't have had access to the a/c recovery equipment. On mine I took an old fan/shroud I had replaced on my father in laws 451, and used it. Modified it to fit a 1050CFM, I think, aftermarket fan. Shaved it down and 4 bolts later it was done. If I remember, and have time, I will try and post pics of my handiwork.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So i was actually able to complete the fan mod yesterday. I used thick zip ties looped around the metal frame to secure the fan to the radiator on 4 sides. I followed the instructions to remove the front panel here: Front panel

removing the front panel turned out to be the easiest part... I had difficulty unplugging the old radiator fan plug. I located it quickly as it had the orange and red wires, but even with the front low pan lowered it was difficult to reach in. was impossible to unplug by hand, somehow managed to use a flathead screwdriver to trigger the plug release after 45 minutes of fiddling... to anyone else having trouble, you may just want to cut the damn wires and solder it to the new fan wires seeing as there is plenty of wire length. ended up crimping the new fan connectors to slide right into the plug and securing with electric tape.

everything appears to work great and is secure. remember to reverse polarity for dual push/pull fans so that it's pushing.

·
Registered
2009 fortwo 451
15 Posts
This job is a doozy, good thing I work on cars for a living, or I wouldn't have had access to the a/c recovery equipment. On mine I took an old fan/shroud I had replaced on my father in laws 451, and used it. Modified it to fit a 1050CFM, I think, aftermarket fan. Shaved it down and 4 bolts later it was done. If I remember, and have time, I will try and post pics of my handiwork.
IMG_20200508_215118584.jpg

As promised, here are the pics of my handiwork.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings,

Does anyone have the PDF information on the steps? I am currently working on it and I just want to make sure I am on the right track. Thanks :)

121 - 127 of 127 Posts