Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the cabin filter on their 453? After paying the dealer an absurd amount to do it as part of the 10,000 mile/Service A maintenance, I checked to see if I could do it myself. I see where the filter goes, but it seems like access to it is blocked by the accelerator pedal. Is there a trick to removing/installing the filter?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Has anyone replaced the cabin filter on their 453? After paying the dealer an absurd amount to do it as part of the 10,000 mile/Service A maintenance, I checked to see if I could do it myself. I see where the filter goes, but it seems like access to it is blocked by the accelerator pedal. Is there a trick to removing/installing the filter?
It's easy to do yourself, just a little door next to the gas pedal. The filter itself makes up the bulk of the cost, not so much the labor charge IMO. The aftermarket ones are probably 1/2 to 2/3rds less dense in filtration material, so you will get what you pay for... the oem one is so much more effective...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2016, 453. there are two things you should know. After quite a bit of research, I learned two important things. If you look at the uTube videos on line, they show you the filter comes out the driver's side of the center console. While the latchable door is still there, you cannot get the filter out as the throttle (gas pedal) assembly is in the way. Rather, you remove the floor mat and the panel underneath it that holds the flat tire kit. Then you can access the latchable door on the passenger side of the center console and pull the filter out.

The second thing I learned is that Advance Discount Auto sells an excellent replacement cabin air filter for under $9.00. It has charcoal and is constructed better than the OEM Mann filter the car comes with. It is a perfect fit. The Advance Auto part number is 90223C.

Neil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts