Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My low beams both went out, and it doesn't seem to be the bulbs or the fuses that are causing it. Highs work and tail lights work. I'm guessing it might be the relay, which is soldered inside the SAM (via Evilution). Does anyone else have any ideas why the lights may have gone out, and possible solutions? Has anyone changed out a relay?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, probably unrelated, but for a while now my OBD port hasn't been working at all. not recognizing ANY readers. the headlight issue hasn't coincided with this, but i am looking for a solution to that as well. thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a SAM unit

hoov23

I have a bad SAM unit that I could remove that relay and sent it to you (you just pay postage) if you find that is the problem.

let me know

ASM

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW, nevermind! My friend got it to work! apparently the connector on the SAM where the low-beam connects had gunk in it, she cleaned it out, and it works!! and the car even starts, BONUS. We had the SAM totally out and apart to test the relay when she noticed the gunk around the pins. No idea how it happened, since I doubt it's ever been messed with since G&K. But all I can say is I'm ecstatic that I can take the masking tape off my high-beams.

Thank you SO much, ASM, I was halfway through a PM to you when she came in saying it was working.. :) and thanks chief, too!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Mount external relays for the low beams, and the fuel pump. The sAM in the 450 has a real achilles heel in those areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts