Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because my smart fortwo (model 451) starter was acting a bit odd (see previous thread and sound clip), I decided to replace it. I found a replacement unit on eBay and you should be able to locate a used one for around $100 or less depending on condition. Following are the steps I used to complete the process. If you have other tips/tricks or notice that I've missed something, please let me know so that these instructions can be updated accordingly.

1. Ensure that you have the correct tools and supplies. You will need an E14 external Torx (star) socket to fit the two bolts used to hold the starter onto the transmission, a socket extension, a 13mm socket to remove the battery wire from the solenoid, and a 10mm socket for the negative battery terminal. If you do not have external Torx sockets (I didn't), you can find an inexpensive set that has common sizes at Harbor Freight for under $10 (Item # 67898).

2. Carefully back the smart onto vehicle ramps and set the parking brake so that you can access the area under the engine. The starter is behind the driver's seat underneath the engine. The following photo shows the front engine mount, clutch actuator, and starter when looking back toward the engine from underneath the car.

3. To avoid potential electrical problems, injury, or causing error codes to be set on the car’s computer, it is always good practice to disconnect the negative battery terminal. You’ll need a regular 10mm socket to loosen the terminal. See the owner’s manual for instructions on accessing the battery compartment under the passenger floorboard if you are unfamiliar with the process.

4. While underneath the car, use the 13mm socket to remove the battery wire from the starter solenoid.

5. Remove the ignition wire from the solenoid by pulling it off the flat connector and then use the E14 external Torx socket to remove the two bolts holding the starter in position. You will need a socket extension for the top bolt and since you can’t see it directly, it will take a little trial and error to get the socket in place. I recommend using just the socket/extension combo until the socket is on the bolt, then attach the socket wrench. Once you remove the bolts, the starter will be free.

6. After the starter is removed, you can now fit the replacement unit by reversing these instructions. Hold the new unit in place while starting the bottom bolt since it is easy to reach. Once this bolt is loosely holding the unit in place, start the second bolt by placing it in the socket/extension combo and through trial and error, get it started.

7. You may want to use some dielectric grease on the ignition wire post before replacing the plug. Cleaning the battery wire connector so that it makes good contact would also be a good idea. I used sandpaper to remove dirt/corrosion before reattaching.

8. You can now reconnect the battery terminal, close up the battery compartment, and start it up! Be sure to record the date and number of miles in your owner's documentation for future reference.

Note: If anyone needs the part number for the starter, here it is:

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid was dragging. Number 8 photo looks, like the dirty old starter.
Do they sell starters yet at parts stores?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds like the solenoid was dragging. Number 8 photo looks, like the dirty old starter.
Do they sell starters yet at parts stores?
Good eye. :) I cleaned/lubed the original starter and put it back on the car and it worked fine (that's when I took that picture), but I still didn't want to trust it and a replacement starter was very reasonable. So, instead of taking any chances with the original, I decided to swap it. I've now pulled the same starter off twice and put two different ones back on. I just used the picture from the first go round since I didn't have one from the second. Anyway, since it didn't really show anything new, I went ahead and removed that picture to avoid confusion and added a closeup of the part number in case it was needed by anyone.

I did not check to see if the starter was available at parts stores. The one from eBay looked brand new as it came off a very low mileage 2009 car.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i noticed the starter location on this picture but on the CDI that's where the gear change motor is
These instructions and photos only apply to the NA 451 model which uses the Mitsubishi 3B21 gas engine and 5-speed transmission. Sorry... :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You

Good eye. :) I cleaned/lubed the original starter and put it back on the car and it worked fine
Thanks for the outstanding "Manual". I had the same Starter-Problem with my Smartie an your Posting was a very good help.
Nevertheless I had a break in my work with "Remove the ignition wire from the solenoid by pulling it off the flat connector and then...", I did not see the small hook-realease nippel on the black flat connector and pulled and pulled and pulled..., but then I fetched better glasses and brighter flashlight and I found the solution.

I stopped my work after cleaning and lubricating the starter, it works fine again, I wait with bying a new one.

And again, thank you, you saved me much money!!!

Best Regards Chris

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just replaced my starter not too bad only thing I did different was to remove the real wheel and used a very long extension to access the "hidden" bolt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why can't I see the photos?
Because they were hosted on a site that is no longer providing them, and this forum does not indicate that error to us, so we just see nothing.
I've managed to locate all but one of the images and re-created the post here with them.
Credit goes of course to @rfernatt

1. Ensure that you have the correct tools and supplies. You will need an E14 external Torx (star) socket to fit the two bolts used to hold the starter onto the transmission, a socket extension, a 13mm socket to remove the battery wire from the solenoid, and a 10mm socket for the negative battery terminal. If you do not have external Torx sockets (I didn't), you can find an inexpensive set that has common sizes at Harbor Freight for under $10 (Item # 67898).

2. Carefully back the smart onto vehicle ramps and set the parking brake so that you can access the area under the engine. The starter is behind the driver's seat underneath the engine. The following photo shows the front engine mount, clutch actuator, and starter when looking back toward the engine from underneath the car.

3. To avoid potential electrical problems, injury, or causing error codes to be set on the car’s computer, it is always good practice to disconnect the negative battery terminal. You’ll need a regular 10mm socket to loosen the terminal. See the owner’s manual for instructions on accessing the battery compartment under the passenger floorboard if you are unfamiliar with the process.

4. While underneath the car, use the 13mm socket to remove the battery wire from the starter solenoid.

5. Remove the ignition wire from the solenoid by pulling it off the flat connector and then use the E14 external Torx socket to remove the two bolts holding the starter in position. You will need a socket extension for the top bolt and since you can’t see it directly, it will take a little trial and error to get the socket in place. I recommend using just the socket/extension combo until the socket is on the bolt, then attach the socket wrench. Once you remove the bolts, the starter will be free.

6. After the starter is removed, you can now fit the replacement unit by reversing these instructions. Hold the new unit in place while starting the bottom bolt since it is easy to reach. Once this bolt is loosely holding the unit in place, start the second bolt by placing it in the socket/extension combo and through trial and error, get it started.

Note: This image is missing. I cannot find it.

7. You may want to use some dielectric grease on the ignition wire post before replacing the plug. Cleaning the battery wire connector so that it makes good contact would also be a good idea. I used sandpaper to remove dirt/corrosion before reattaching.

8. You can now reconnect the battery terminal, close up the battery compartment, and start it up! Be sure to record the date and number of miles in your owner's documentation for future reference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Because my smart fortwo (model 451) starter was acting a bit odd (see previous thread and sound clip), I decided to replace it. I found a replacement unit on eBay and you should be able to locate a used one for around $100 or less depending on condition. Following are the steps I used to complete the process. If you have other tips/tricks or notice that I've missed something, please let me know so that these instructions can be updated accordingly.

What is the part number for the starter ? I own a 2013 smart passon Gas 451 in America

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the part number for the starter ? I own a 2013 smart passon Gas 451 in America
I ordered this part and installed it myself and it works perfectly in a 2008 gas 451 in the US.
It's the DB Electrical brand, model SMT0439
I believe that the OEM part number is 132-151-00-01
Cost was $74.80

1 - 12 of 12 Posts