Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just turned 40K miles on my smart and wondered if anyone is able to replace them anywhere besides the dealer? The smart dealer did quote around $200 for new tires which I don't think is a bad price.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I just turned 40K miles on my smart and wondered if anyone is able to replace them anywhere besides the dealer? The smart dealer did quote around $200 for new tires which I don't think is a bad price.
Honestly if it is installed I'd stick with that. Not a bad price.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Any tire shop can handle the mounting/demounting and balancing of our tires. I have purchased OE tires from Tire Rack because of thier low pricing and taken the tires to Peerless for the rest of the installation process.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Tire Rack gets a lot of mention here. There are better tires than the OE Continentals.

Not if you want the OE sizes. The rears aren't the problem, no body else makes the front size.:(

I'd love to put a set of Hankook's on my smart, but I can't without changing rims.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just wondering if this is possible--Replace tires with ONE size on OEM wheels so they can be rotated front to back??? Anyone have any ideas or comments????

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
~Its going to take about $500.00 to join the Rotate Club~
Fronts are only 4 1/2" wide rims (no good for the rotate club)... Keep one of them old ones for a spare, and sell the other one...
Note: Continentals all-season tires are rated 4 1/2 stars out of 5 (they are good) TireRack tells no lies...
Read this Link, and you will get the Drift of what you can do...
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f64/you-member-i-can-rotate-my-tires-club-25415/

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just wondering if this is possible--Replace tires with ONE size on OEM wheels so they can be rotated front to back??? Anyone have any ideas or comments????

There's been a lot of discussion on this topic.

You should not be putting wider tires on the OEM front wheels. You will need new front wheels for wider tires or even if you use the same size as are on the rears now for fronts as well. There are some who will argue that they have disregarded this advice but they may not realize the advice being provided by tire, wheel, and installer recommendations on this topic. You can read up on some advice regarding this in Tire Rack's FAQs.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you can get four new tires installed and properly balanced and the old tires taken away for $200 then go quickly back to that dealership and have it done pronto.

On the other hand, if that quoted price is for each tire, which is more likely the case, then you can definitely do far better by going to a tire shop or by mail order from a supplier like Tire Rack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts