Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked my car up yesterday after its 160 mile trip to my dealer for the annual battery service. Took me 3.5 hours in my loaner ICE to get there and 10.5 hours to drive the EV home including down time of six hours for recharging. The three charges started out at 90, 90 and 89 miles and based on my calculations, that was pretty accurate. Since my longest leg was 70 miles, I had no real range anxiety issues. Kept the speed between 45 - 50 for nearly the whole trip. Econ gauge read 98 - 100% for nearly the whole trip. Wouldn't want to make this trip often, but once a year I can handle.

1. Battery service - I made it clear that I did not want the full annual maintenance package, only the battery service. Cost for the service was $55. I did my own desiccant filter cartridge, brake fluid and cabin air filter myself. Battery tested out good. Got a copy of the printout that I asked for. Capacity measured 50.8 Ah. I think anything over 42 Ah is okay - someone correct me if I'm wrong please. Isolation resistance was 54 MOhm whatever that is? Tech told me there is no requirement to discharge the battery to under 40% before this service, but said for me to go ahead and do it when I mentioned to him what the euro/UK procedures indicated.

2. Heater - the heater did not work at all last winter, but with our mild winters, it wasn't a big deal with the seat heaters available. However, since the car was under warranty, I wanted to get it fixed. Turned out the car needed a new heater booster and a new motor for one of the flaps. MSRP on those parts are about $1800.

3. Software updates - asked that they check to make sure that I have the latest versions. Was told that Smart doesn't pay for that unless the customer is reporting a problem. Since my car is doing great, I didn't really push that issue.

4. Differential fluid leak - since several of you here have reported an issue in this area, I asked that mine be checked. All was good.

5. Fan noise - every once in awhile my fan would make a noise like it was rubbing against something when it was slowing down. They could not reproduce that sound which doesn't surprise me. I think it is something minor or even normal, so I was okay with that.

Thoughts about this dealership, i.e. Smart/Mercedes dealer in Cary, NC. I was very pleased with them. No question that I will use them again when necessary. Communication and updates on the status of my car was excellent. They gave me a loaner for two weeks and my EV was fully charged when I picked it up.

Len
2014 EV

·
Super Moderator
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way I read the service requirements and the warranty booklet, an annual battery check is required whether you own the battery or not. Maybe I'm not reading that right, but I figure that while the car is under warranty, I will get the annual check done as well as get any warranty items taken care of. Should my battery need replacing during the warranty period, I don't want to give Mercedes any wiggle room to say no. My plan right now is to not do it after the warranty expires.

Len
2014 EV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts