Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my reservation code, and maybe there's a simple explanation of how it is encoded. Smart would only need to know the date and time when the reservation was made to be able to do reservations in order. It's already been reported that the last 4 digits give you the date. Looking at the rest of the number, and comparing with the time of my reservation reply, I see a simpler correlation:

My reservation number is 2120411176, any my reservation confirmation was received on March 22 (corresponding to the last 4 digits, 1176) at 14:02:14. So, if I look at the first 6 digits, 212041, and parse them into three fields: 21, 20, and 41, and take each of these backwards, I get 12, 02, and 14. Now, I can believe that the confirmation was actually received by Smart at 14:02:12 and that it took a couple of seconds for the confirmation letter to get back to me. So, can I just interpret the first 6 digits as encoding the time in this backwards manner? I looked at some of the other confirmation numbers on the forum, and none of them seem to violate this kind of timing (no hours that are more than 24, no minutes or seconds more than 60).

So, my guess is:
ab cd ef ghij
is interpreted as fe hours, dc minutes, ba seconds on the date that comes from ghij.

Should be real easy to prove incorrect.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You might be on to something!

The first six digits of my res # are 530212, which under your theory would parse into 21:20:35. My confirmation email was received at 10:20pm (don't know the seconds) according to my PC clock, but I'm on Moutain Time, so perhaps 21:20:35 Pacific Time... Anyone know where Internet Brands is based?

I'd nominate you for a Nobel Prize, but I think they just gave the last one out. :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great job but it'll still be difficult to know our standing on the waiting list until PAG lets us know how many reservations were received per day and how many fortwos will be coming in per month. Wouldn't a simple number order for the reservations be more meaningful? I bet it exists too. Why the lack of transparency?

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Seems to work for me (#3083211271) = 03h-38m-12s. I got two identical emails with my reservation number on 25 JUN, one date-stamped at 3:37 PM and one at 3:38 PM, Eastern Time (I live on the East coast). I recall that was about the time of day when I lost my head! These two emails came from smartUSA which I presume is in Michigan.

Also I got a preliminary email acknowledging that I registered, and then Newsletter Nr. 5, both at 3:26 PM, but from Internet Brands in California.

I don't know how they reconcile four different time zones in one system. Having a time to go along with the date doesn't add much, but we now know that the reservation number has nothing to do with model preference or location.

·
Registered
264 Posts
unfortunately "breaking" the secret code on the reservation number tells us little about our spot on line and our potential delivery date

?? :-(

·
Registered
4 Posts
my numbers

I placed my reservation on 7/17 and the last fours numbers are 1293. When should i expect my order for my smart?? Anyone have any ideas .

·
Registered
564 Posts
I placed my reservation on 7/17 and the last fours numbers are 1293. When should i expect my order for my smart?? Anyone have any ideas .
Well, at the time you reserved there were already around 20,000 folks in line ahead of you, which is around the number of cars Penske are saying they will deliver in 2008.

So bottom line answer, probably late in 2008. Still a lot of unknowns at this stage, so things may change...

·
Registered
931 Posts
I believe it will get real interesting when we start getting posts regarding the ACTUAL sit down with the dealer to officially place a purchase order and give them your actual downpayment. That will be the defining moment. We will start to get accurate word on any dealer "packing" as well as estimated delivery dates. But, can I wait???? How many fall outs will there be??? :eek:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I believe it will get real interesting when we start getting posts regarding the ACTUAL sit down with the dealer to officially place a purchase order and give them your actual downpayment. That will be the defining moment. We will start to get accurate word on any dealer "packing" as well as estimated delivery dates. But, can I wait???? How many fall outs will there be??? :eek:

DITTO! :D

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Smart1:

Great work!! The code indeed appears to be pacific time in reverse. I was able to confirm this with some of the reservation number data I had collected on a spreadsheet to analyze. I had 5 datasets that were sufficiently complete to confirm your theory.

Now we have nothing to needlessly occupy ourselves with until the cars arrive.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Sorry if this is some were on here and I didn’t see it. If the first 6 number are the time what about the last four, with so many people registering I wonder if they are assign 100 reservations to each confirmation number.
to the Hundredth power like I just put my 99 in this month and my last four is 1370 so times 100 would be 137,000 or 37,000 reservations in front of me or am I way off the mark? Seem like the only way to fit 30,000 plus reservations into 4 digits well really the last three anyway.
Glen
The last four digits are the date of the reservation. It is the number of days counting forward from 1/1/04. You received a confirmation of your reservation on October 2nd.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Years ago it was an arbitrary date the LIM group (Lotus, IBM(or was it Intel?), and Microsoft) agreed to as a start date for the date/code numbering database behind most spreadsheets...

The start date I remember was a LONG time before 1/1/04 though

Maybe MIcrosoft just moved it forward in time to make the numbers relating to a specific date much smaller

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ive been reading this thread for a while and while figuring out what the reservation codes stand for is good an all it seems like it has no good implications. To make it worthwhile you would have to find the reservation number contained in the last email sent out for the day/week or however they are splitting up the batches then you can evaluate where you stand in line. I guess ideally if you could track it for a month you could get pretty accurate data. And you have to account for people that reserved and decided not to follow up anymore than that.

Im not trying to be a jerk in any way but thats how I see it =)

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Years ago it was an arbitrary date the LIM group (Lotus, IBM(or was it Intel?), and Microsoft) agreed to as a start date for the date/code numbering database behind most spreadsheets...

The start date I remember was a LONG time before 1/1/04 though

Maybe MIcrosoft just moved it forward in time to make the numbers relating to a specific date much smaller
If I remember correctly it was 1/1/1900

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Ive been reading this thread for a while and while figuring out what the reservation codes stand for is good an all it seems like it has no good implications. To make it worthwhile you would have to find the reservation number contained in the last email sent out for the day/week or however they are splitting up the batches then you can evaluate where you stand in line. I guess ideally if you could track it for a month you could get pretty accurate data. And you have to account for people that reserved and decided not to follow up anymore than that.
I think you assessed it fairly accurately.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Process - What process?

I'm still not sure about the process. I'm in Oregon, so KUNI Portland will be my dealer. I've been in contact with someone there that indicated there were no more steps in the process after the confirmation. Once you confirmed your vehicle, you'd only hear from them when your car was ready for delivery.

I also thought that they were suppose to contact us after the confirmation, before the new year!

Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts