Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
3,861 Posts
Seems to work for me (#3083211271) = 03h-38m-12s. I got two identical emails with my reservation number on 25 JUN, one date-stamped at 3:37 PM and one at 3:38 PM, Eastern Time (I live on the East coast). I recall that was about the time of day when I lost my head! These two emails came from smartUSA which I presume is in Michigan.

Also I got a preliminary email acknowledging that I registered, and then Newsletter Nr. 5, both at 3:26 PM, but from Internet Brands in California.

I don't know how they reconcile four different time zones in one system. Having a time to go along with the date doesn't add much, but we now know that the reservation number has nothing to do with model preference or location.

· Banned
3,861 Posts
If one recalls what has NOT been said, as opposed to what we assume has been said, there might be something here! I don’t recall anything being said that the follow-up designated dealer contact immediately follows the “confirmation” process. In fact the confirmation is a finalization of the reservation only, and not an obligation to buy nor an obligation to be provided that particular vehicle or any other vehicle. And, though the confirmation process is ongoing, no dealers have been officially designated. So….

Perhaps the real process is that the vehicle is ordered to be built per the finalized reservation, and sometime down the road it is physically delivered to the designated dealer along with the reserver’s contact information as the primary “hot lead.” The dealer then “offers” it to the primary reserver, and if he still wants it, he then has 30 days to act. If he declines, or demurs beyond 30 days, the dealer retains the vehicle for inventory, or to “offer” to a secondary reserver.

I’m not sure where any down-payment comes in (other than the $99). Perhaps just to hold the deal open pending financing or something.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.