Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my reservation code, and maybe there's a simple explanation of how it is encoded. Smart would only need to know the date and time when the reservation was made to be able to do reservations in order. It's already been reported that the last 4 digits give you the date. Looking at the rest of the number, and comparing with the time of my reservation reply, I see a simpler correlation:

My reservation number is 2120411176, any my reservation confirmation was received on March 22 (corresponding to the last 4 digits, 1176) at 14:02:14. So, if I look at the first 6 digits, 212041, and parse them into three fields: 21, 20, and 41, and take each of these backwards, I get 12, 02, and 14. Now, I can believe that the confirmation was actually received by Smart at 14:02:12 and that it took a couple of seconds for the confirmation letter to get back to me. So, can I just interpret the first 6 digits as encoding the time in this backwards manner? I looked at some of the other confirmation numbers on the forum, and none of them seem to violate this kind of timing (no hours that are more than 24, no minutes or seconds more than 60).

So, my guess is:
ab cd ef ghij
is interpreted as fe hours, dc minutes, ba seconds on the date that comes from ghij.

Should be real easy to prove incorrect.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've got a challenge for anyone that want's something to pass the time while waiting.
I read on another thread that there's about 35000 reservations now. Going back in time, it seems we have some information about the rate that reservations were made- we know roughly when they reached 20,000 etc. If we construct a model of when reservations were made, and then make some assumptions around how many reservation holders are being asked to finalize their choices each week, we might be able to estimate when any given reservation holder might be able to expect to get that e-mail asking for them to confirm their choices. No doubt it won't be too accurate, but I'm sure it'll be a well appreciated service to later reservation holders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.