Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Banned
3,861 Posts
If one recalls what has NOT been said, as opposed to what we assume has been said, there might be something here! I don’t recall anything being said that the follow-up designated dealer contact immediately follows the “confirmation” process. In fact the confirmation is a finalization of the reservation only, and not an obligation to buy nor an obligation to be provided that particular vehicle or any other vehicle. And, though the confirmation process is ongoing, no dealers have been officially designated. So….

Perhaps the real process is that the vehicle is ordered to be built per the finalized reservation, and sometime down the road it is physically delivered to the designated dealer along with the reserver’s contact information as the primary “hot lead.” The dealer then “offers” it to the primary reserver, and if he still wants it, he then has 30 days to act. If he declines, or demurs beyond 30 days, the dealer retains the vehicle for inventory, or to “offer” to a secondary reserver.

I’m not sure where any down-payment comes in (other than the $99). Perhaps just to hold the deal open pending financing or something.

· Registered
348 Posts
Exactly that, fishrdnc!

Mikie, the reservation list is just a list of very interested parties for the salespeople to contact once cars start arriving at the dealerships. "Your" car will not be yours until the salesperson contacts you to let you know a car like the one you reserved has arrived at the dealer, you agree to purchase the car and you go through all the paperwork.
So, nothing more will or should be heard by you about your exact car because there are no official dealerships or salespeople as yet.
I've heard people ask about their place in line. There is no line! You have a reservation code. When the dealer is open and the factory builds and/or ships "your" car is when you will hear about it.
I know it's driving you nuts. My patience is wearing thin too! But there's nothing to be done for it except to wait. It's just as bad as being a small child waiting for Christmas morning! Except our wait is much longer.

Hang in there! We're all in this together!:)

· Registered
348 Posts
Nice article. Thanks!
Many other dealers have been "identified" as well. I know where my dealer is too, as do many others. But they don't actually exist yet as smart retail outlets, even if they are selling other brands. As the article states, startup isn't going to happen until after the end of 2007, some time in January or February. There is an existing thread on this forum (and on others) where you can report any confirmed dealers and check on others.
You asked about "the process". I answered. I'm not questioning your knowledge of your soon-to-be dealership, but it isn't open as a smart dealer yet, is it?
The only dealers in the US currently open for business and selling smart cars are those selling grey market 450 models.
I may be picking nits, but I repeat. There are no existing official factory smart dealer in the US yet.

The process continues. Stay tuned for chapter three!

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've got a challenge for anyone that want's something to pass the time while waiting.
I read on another thread that there's about 35000 reservations now. Going back in time, it seems we have some information about the rate that reservations were made- we know roughly when they reached 20,000 etc. If we construct a model of when reservations were made, and then make some assumptions around how many reservation holders are being asked to finalize their choices each week, we might be able to estimate when any given reservation holder might be able to expect to get that e-mail asking for them to confirm their choices. No doubt it won't be too accurate, but I'm sure it'll be a well appreciated service to later reservation holders.

· Registered
146 Posts
I've got a challenge for anyone that want's something to pass the time while waiting.
I read on another thread that there's about 35000 reservations now. Going back in time, it seems we have some information about the rate that reservations were made- we know roughly when they reached 20,000 etc. If we construct a model of when reservations were made, and then make some assumptions around how many reservation holders are being asked to finalize their choices each week, we might be able to estimate when any given reservation holder might be able to expect to get that e-mail asking for them to confirm their choices. No doubt it won't be too accurate, but I'm sure it'll be a well appreciated service to later reservation holders.
According to Smart Newsletter # 10, they are confirming 350 reservation holders per week. I started a calendar at work to see where I stand on the list. Reading the threads, I still have a long way to go.:eek: I reserved May 11. By the time they reach my number there will be a dealership in Tucson.:)

Teapots

· Registered
1,986 Posts
They are gonna hafta speed up the confirmation process, or those just now reserving wouldn't get cars until 2010.

Bigger question that neither we nor smart may know is how many who plunked down $99 will actually buy a car. 90%? 80%? 50%? That's going to be the biggest factor in how quick you get your car.

· Registered
172 Posts
Not many more than 350 a week

well, 350/week is 1400 per month is 16,000 year - so you're right it would take 2 years to reach 3200. Of course, accounting for attrition, and a bump in production, maybe it'll be early 2009 instead!
Or you could look at it this way. Adding the ten weeks in 2007 to the 52 weeks of 2008 and keeping the same rate of confirmations, you get almost 22,000 confirmations - just about the estimated production. I don't think attrition will be significant during this process. Most of the drop-outs will be at the point when the dealer wants some money.

· smart happens here!
1,838 Posts
dunno....at the point the dealer wants money will probably be either when the order goes to the factory (deposit) or when it arrives (full payment). Having come that close, I certainly wouldn't cancel. I suspect 6 - 8 months from now, when some of us still haven't even confirmed, many of these people would have been tired of waiting, moved on and gotten other cars and so won't confirm their reservations.

· Senior Smartie
1,271 Posts
After receiving the request to configure...

unfortunately "breaking" the secret code on the reservation number tells us little about our spot on line and our potential delivery date

?? :-(
I would say that after receiving your user name and password to the MY Smart Fortwo Configurator, the ball goes into the dealers court and it doesn't get thrown out to you until they are established and ready to have a car for you to buy....built and ready to run and I think it is as simple as that....no secrecy about it. It's just the waiting that sucks!! :eek:

· Registered
280 Posts
Most of the drop-outs will be at the point when the dealer wants some money.
Aye, and there's the rub. I suspect most will NOT drop out having come that far unless the dealer requires some onerous fees, add-ons, or prevailing market penalties. If the dealer says "Its $1000 over what PAG advertised, take it or leave it." would you pay? How about $2000? I bought my MINI from the dealer in Salt Lake at MSRP because the local dealer wanted $2500 over MSRP just to say hello. I only hope it doesn't come to this kind of decision.

tm

· Registered
264 Posts
All they have have to do is dress the car up with some junk you don't want and overprice it- that is what Mini and Miata dealers did in NJ and say the car itself is indeed at list price but we only have these cars in stock with these addons- do you want it or not?

Sure hope it doesn't happen that way but we will not know until we buy, will we?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.