Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made my reservation about 2 weeks ago. Does anyone know how this process will work once the cars are available? I am super excited to give one a shot.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
The process will work like this. SmartUSA has begun notifying those who had reserved in March, sending them access to www.mysmartfortwo.com. This is a registration confirmation site where you can adjust your reserved preference to color and model, as well as add options....and get a bottomline MSRP. Presumably in the coming months, your dealer to be will get your updated preference, and contact you to finalize and formally submit your order to the factory. However, SmartUSA reminds you to be patient regarding them contacting you "over the coming months". People who reserved this summer (vs March, april, may) might not be contacted until the end of the year, and who knows (with 28,000 plus reservations on projected 20,000 first year production) whether some of us will receive cars in 2008. I hope this doesn't pop your bubble, but I think the car is worth waiting for!

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
SmartCard,
I reserved in mid March (like in the first or second week it was available to do so) and I have not as yet received the username and password from them. Have others who are on here who reserved that early received this info? I have gotten all the updates from Smart but nothing else so far. I am hoping that my reservation has not gotten dropped thru the cracks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I reserved my car on March 30 but have yet to hear anything. Who knows where we are in the queue, but hopefully we'll hear something soon.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
The only few people who I have read that have been given access have ordered on 3/19, and that maybe not even everyone who reserved on the 19th has been notified yet. Looks like its going to be slooow process. Why....who knows?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I reserved on the 19th but have received no email as of yet. Maybe it is based on whether there has been a dealer yet assigned for your area that would handle your order......

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Could be.....although I've been told that you may get an offer to buy from the nearest open dealer, even if one has not open (or will not open) in your hometown(state).

Also, reading elsewhere its seems SmartUSA is essentially "beta testing" the new confirmation site, therefore only a very limited number have been notified to date.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Has anyone who reserved later than March 19 received the order login information? I reserved on March 23 and received confirmation on March 24. No word.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
And my reservation was dated March 20....and received the confirmation # but that was all....nothing about anything else. I guess we will all have to just cool our tappets and wait it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
you know, i honestly think that smart has absolutly no excuse to fall short in supply when comes to high consumer demand. I read on edmunds.com that it takes less than 8 hours to build a smart. I think that if there were any 'shortage in supply' it would just be the company hyping up their product as a form of publicity. believe me i mean no disrespect to the smart concept however, i think this whole 'not enough to go around' idea is just there to keep us hungry and tell all our friends about how difficult it is to attain such a car (again, free advertising). I don't buy this rarity thing one bit.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
That 8 hours to build a Smart obviously isn't the whole picture. If that were the case, they'd only be building 3 a day and a thousand a year. The critical number is the unit production capacity per day coming off the end of the assembly line in Humbach, France.

·
Registered
564 Posts
smart is extremely motivated to sell as many fortwos as it can. Success in the US market is key to their future success overall, so I believe they will ship as many cars here as reasonably possible. But at the end of the day, they have one factory with finite capacity and another 35 markets to satisfy as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That 8 hours to build a Smart obviously isn't the whole picture. If that were the case, they'd only be building 3 a day and a thousand a year. The critical number is the unit production capacity per day coming off the end of the assembly line in Humbach, France.
I'm talking about these cars as if they were being built on an assembly line. Not an individual practice. There's a continuous flow of chassis rolling throughout the plant which makes automotive manufacturing a much simpler task. This was one of the reasons why Henry Ford became famous. I could understand a wait of a couple months, however multiple years is simply rediculous.

smart is extremely motivated to sell as many fortwos as it can. Success in the US market is key to their future success overall, so I believe they will ship as many cars here as reasonably possible.
Any intelligent automaker is extreamly motivated to sell as many vehicles as it can. The trick is consumer interest. If consumer interest dies, so does the product. And any automotive manufacturer (especially smart, considering the fortwo is now their only source of revenue) with just one vehicle holding the flag must be very careful as to how they market their product and how readily available they make their car. Trust me, if they really wanted to they could pump out these little guys no problem. Me and some friends could probably build one of these in a matter of days, so you think an auto company backed by a well respected german automaker like mercedes-benz would have any real difficulties granting people their wishes?

But at the end of the day, they have one factory with finite capacity and another 35 markets to satisfy as well.
Which is why you release your product to a few countries at a time. Not all at once! I'm sure smart as well as daddy mercedes is very well aware of production capacities of their plant(s). They know exactly what their doing and that's exactly how you stimulate consumer interest. Think of it, if everyone had total security in knowing their smart was going to arrive on such and such a ship date, this forum would be rendered useless, except for the technical's area and maybe the occasional, "hey what handwax do you use?"

I'm just really sick of this "smoke in mirrors, we don't know whats what..." mentality when really these people know exactly what their doing.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
So, as I recall, the word is: deliveries to START in Jan '08. Now, I discovered this week mine is a Mercedes dealer near my home. I stopped in to say hi and a few days later got a call, yesterday in fact, taking further info (my ph., address & e-mail) in order to contact me in October as they said. I have no other info. It is tittillating to think that it's not too far off. Whether they'll have a demo for me to take out on a real drive or just want me to committ more $$$ to insure a deal. I won't however commit diddley till I can get the little Smarty out on the highway a bit. Film at Eleven. :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
So, as I recall, the word is: deliveries to START in Jan '08. Now, I discovered this week mine is a Mercedes dealer near my home. I stopped in to say hi and a few days later got a call, yesterday in fact, taking further info (my ph., address & e-mail) in order to contact me in October as they said. I have no other info. It is tittillating to think that it's not too far off. Whether they'll have a demo for me to take out on a real drive or just want me to committ more $$$ to insure a deal. I won't however commit diddley till I can get the little Smarty out on the highway a bit. Film at Eleven. :)

Oh, I had reserved (a month ago) a Pure but asked if I'd be able to upgrade to a Passion. She didn't seem to think that'd be a problem. Go figure. :confused:

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Trust me, if they really wanted to they could pump out these little guys no problem. .
A fixed production plant has a finite production capacity. I would guess that their current excess capacity is currently around 20,000 units. Hence, the production quota for the US. Keep in mind that Smart is a big money loser for MB at this time and they are unlikely to commit to hundreds of millions in plant expansion until the success if the US market is proven.

Which is why you release your product to a few countries at a time. Not all at once!
That's exactly what they did. The Smart has been slowly introduced throughout a number of Euro countries over the past several years.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts