Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Inactive Account
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some quick calculations and it appears that from the time of reserving a smart to the time of receiving the configuration e-mails varies from about 6 to 8 months. Then after configuration a 3-4 month time till delivery seems appropriate.

This is just based on two data points though. One point being my own. I was an 1173 and configured 6 months later. Now I am waiting for my smart which should be here in less than 20 days.

Recently someone who was a 1239 received a configuration e-mail. The wait time for that was about 8 months.

Assuming someone recently made their reservation, that could mean a delivery around anywhere from October to December. This is assuming that smart does not too flooded with reservations once the car is seen out and about on the road.

I will update my spreadsheet as I get more data from this board and post the data. If people want to update on this thread it will make it easier for me to find the info. :)

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I just received my config email today (1286), so that's 6 1/2 months after reservation for me. Hoping for a June delivery (although email states 2 half 2008), but July delivery will put it at exactly 1 year from rezo.

·
Inactive Account
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying to see if I can find a correlation between region and wait time. My data is limited right now, but hopefully I can make some better estimates soon.

·
Inactive Account
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am a 1227 in Nebraska and haven't configured yet either. They keep telling me in the next few weeks. (yeah right)
Hopefully you'll configure soon.

The longest wait time I have right now from reserving to configuring is 242 days. Both of the people from Nebraska are beyond that day now.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I don't think they are building another plant in France for the smarts just yet. Where did you hear that? Right now smartville is operating two shifts and shutting down at night. Its hard to hire then fire French factory workers when production slows down, so even adding the third shift is a long term commitment for Diamler.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Configurations seem to be going all over the map now, based on dealer volume. By my method of figuring reservarion rate after the first mad rush, and which seems to be reasonably accurate, I estimate that the first year's supply of 24,000** cars were reserved by 22 JUL (#1298). Therefore, the 1286 recently confirmed is getting fairly close to the end for '08s.

**24,000 is only an assumption.

N.B. This is without any attrition factored in, which we have been told my "The Man" as 7%-8%, but suspect is now approaching 30%.

·
Inactive Account
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've only looked at 26 reservations and confirmations.

For those with the higher 1200 numbers, their wait is the longest at right around 7 to 7.5 months from reservation time to configuration time.

The really early reserves had to wait about 5.8 - 6 months to configure.

I'm not sure if the wait time will increase or decrease yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
to help your update

I will update my spreadsheet as I get more data from this board and post the data. If people want to update on this thread it will make it easier for me to find the info.

T-Bone-
I reserved on 4/2 (1187) and confirmed in the batch that closed on Nov. 19th. My region is North-East (New York City) Any idea when I can expect my car?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will update my spreadsheet as I get more data from this board and post the data. If people want to update on this thread it will make it easier for me to find the info.
QUOTE]

T-Bone-
I reserved on 4/2 (1187) and confirmed in the batch that closed on Nov. 19th. My region is North-East (New York City) Any idea when I can expect my car?[/

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am 1284 in Soutern Ca and plan on a long wait, because of load balancing. Hopefully by March I might get to confirm. Still hoping to get a smart this year.

chief

·
Inactive Account
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
T-Bone-
I reserved on 4/2 (1187) and confirmed in the batch that closed on Nov. 19th. My region is North-East (New York City) Any idea when I can expect my car?
Most likely in about April.

These are all guesstimates right now. Things can change. But it's my best educated guess.

We need more deliveries of higher numbers to get a better idea. Right now it's been mostly 1173 people getting them.

·
Inactive Account
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like a big batch of configurations are coming out around right now because a 1311 just got a confirmation today.

That person's wait time was about 171 days which is very similar to the wait time that the 1173's had.

I've got a range of 1239 to 1311 people that received configuration e-mails in the last few days. So if you are in between there somewhere, you might be getting an e-mail to configure soon.

·
Inactive Account
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not sure how much load balancing will affect things. The 1311 person was from Florida and I'm assuming they have many reservations too.

·
Registered
871 Posts
T-bone,

I reserved on March 26th, and I configured on October 20th. I have not had any calls or emails yet of a car for me on the way. I am an 1180. I do not know if my car will go to Lincolnwood or Indianapolis, but Indy is closer to me.

Meaux

1 - 20 of 289 Posts