Smart Car of America Forum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I found I had to hold my tongue just a certain way to get the service counter to reset to 10K...

(what that certain way is, alas, I can't recall now.)

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,825 Posts
I found I had to hold my tongue just a certain way to get the service counter to reset to 10K...

(what that certain way is, alas, I can't recall now.)
I think you are supposed to hold your tongue to your local M/B dealers rear end......:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
And Daddy was right !

Dady always said " Can't means Won't" try to do it with the seat belt hooked, door closed/open, or the doors locked. Sometimes a crazy change will make it work.
After reading all Blogs on this "reset" problem, I tried it, doors closed w/drivers seat belt latched it reset. Now I can continue to drive Smartie to 30,000 miles and do this all AGAIN !

Thanks Daddy ! :D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Resetting the maintenance indicator

After numerous attempts (at least ten) using several of the methods here, I was finally successful using the method shown in the video, which is like several others, but this time I closed the driver's door and it worked. I believe leaving the driver's door open when I tried previously was preventing the reset from happening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reset maintenance

I had a hard time to reset mine the some how I looked at a picture of how to do it, as I look the gear shift leaver was in REVERSE car not running I tried it and it has been reset everytime first time Just follow the instruction on the site and it will reset.
I hope this helps :)
Fred

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have a 2011 Smart with cruise control/trip computer (called "Control system" in the manual). The maintenance service indicator differs from that in the non-cruise Smart, and following the reset instructions here doesn't work. Does anyone know if a different procedure applies? TIA!

Update 5/19/2012
I figured out how to do the reset with factory cruise control - the standard procedure has to be modified as follows:

1. With car off, switch on ignition and wait for the large "smart" logo to close and be replaced by the flashing wrench and service message. DO NOT press button 1.
2. IMMEDIATELY switch the ignition off.
3. Press and hold button 1, and IMMEDIATELY switch the ignition on.
4. Keep holding the button; after a few seconds, the wrench message will stop flashing and display, "10000".
5. That's it.
My car also has the cruise package and so I tried this many, many, many times...all to no avail :(

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
:bigthumbup:
After taking my smart out to breakfast, I followed the video and did my 30,000 mile reset. Looking forward to the 40k reset.
I boycott the folks whom values do not believe in the smart.
Between the old and the current, I have put over 65k miles in a smart and still enjoying it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
egh! can't reset the service counter

I have a 2011 passion with cruise. I have tried to reset the counter but have not been able to do so. I have tried both methods (push left button twice/don't push) neither work...suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
im about to try again as i just had the oil changed, as I recall last time I got it to work, I had to have the door open or shut, cant remember what one.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Getting the system to reset with the dash buttons is all about timing. Even someone that dances like a bear can do it, you just have to work harder at it.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
For my 2010 Cabrio, I had to have it in "Reverse", not sure is the door was opened or closed and reset was done.
Good luck and "Never give up, Never surrender".

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The trick is to have the left cluster button depressed when you try the key back on. The key off, key on, has to be done quickly. Keep the button depressed & in about 15-20 seconds you will see 10,000 & it will reset.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts