Smart Car of America Forum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Banned
844 Posts
Hello:

Don't forget to unplug your ScanGauge (or anything else plugged into the computer port) or the reset won't work.

Best Regards,

e

.::.

NOW YOU TELL ME! i've been trying it with an ultra gauge and an insurance company monitor plugged into the OBDII port! (i get $100 a year discount for them knowing i keep it below 80MPH and don't tailgate anyone!)

·
Banned
844 Posts
i unplugged everything, tried this 9 ways to sunday, maybe cuz my ABS/ESP lights are on too and i have P0497 and P0455 trouble codes in the system. i think the trouble codes are messing me up. i'm giving up, i'm at -720 now LOL.

·
Banned
844 Posts
None of the listed issues will stop the counter from being reset, you simply are not doing it correctly.
maybe i'll make a youtube video on how stubborn my smart is. true, some have said it takes many tries, and i have done about a dozen in each way, even to the point of starting the car while holding the button. lucky i only had 5 miles on the tank when it zeroed my odometer. i'm beginning to think an error code in the system may prevent it.

i'll live with it, it'll be 2 years next week (730 days). i purposely load one software on every computer so i can see how old it is, it says how many days after the 90th day of install.

i have no plans to sell my smart, oil analysis shows no engine wear at 61K miles, and it's got all my rally stickers. if i tried this a month ago, i'd have had jetfuel give it a shot. no biggie!

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
After a few tries, the computer ignores any more attempts. let it sit overnight and try in the morning. It is mostly a timing thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Read through ALL nine pages and FINALLY got that thing to reset! Someone said "be fluid" doing this and they ain't kidding! Method 1 was it and waltz right through it, keep your press on button 1 while turning key off and back on.

Karl

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've posted this before but whenever it's time for me to reset the maintenance light, I go to You Tube and watch a video of someone doing it. Get that rhythm in your head and go to your car and duplicate the method and timing. Works for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been going thru the reset as all of you have. I've done everyone of the examples from EVILUTION and other posters. My questions are Why is this thing so Damn hard? Also, If you ignore the reset but still Do the maintaince every 10,000, does the computer start shutting things down because it thinks you haven't done required maintance??

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
You don't have to reset the maintenance reminder (wrenches) but it will pop up every time you start your car, and then go away after a bit.

If you don't get it to reset after about 3 tries, it ignores any more attempts. I usually let it sit overnight and then get it right away the next morning. It is all in the timing. When I got my latest smart, I noticed the maintenance reminder was not reset and was ridiculously high. I reset it on the first attempt.

No problems with the computer shutting things down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been trying to do this for 2 weeks. I just got it thanks to the 2 second comment. You must do it within 2 seconds, at least on the 2013 ED I have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just discovered an exception.

I had my car serviced but the indicator was not reset. So, after being annoyed for a few weeks, I found the methods here. I tried both. Several times. I used every variation, including crossed fingers. Still the blinking indicator.

Today, I went back to the place that did the service. They reset the indicator using a computer that connects into the car. The mechanic told me that some Mercedes models require this type of reset IF the car has travelled a certain distance beyond the recommended schedule. Mine probably had, during the time I procrastinated.

·
Super Moderator
29,391 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :) That must be the below the equator, other side of the dateline exception. Plenty of owners in the US let the indicator run for months and months and then eventually reset it manually. It can always be reset with a STAR computer. of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's what I had read, and thus my frustration. I had reset mine in the past using the instructions here.

I'm "Down Under, in Brisbane, Australia. Maybe it has something to do with driving on the left ��

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the double wrench and service is 23 days from now. I also have message 1 show up on my 2014 Passion. I tried to reset per instructions many times but no luck. I purchased my 2014 last July 2016 with 29,900 miles and MZ had changed the oil and filter. The car was a leased vehicle in FL and I purchased in Nashville, TN. At 30XXX miles I changed the plugs, air filter, and cabin filter. Now at 32,500 I have the double wrench sign, no flashing. Do I need MZ or another shop to reset this?

MLogan
2014 Passion
Smyrna, TN

·
Super Moderator
29,391 Posts
Success varies, but I recently manged to reset the indicator on our 2011 in one go; copied the instructions from Evilution and then watched his video several times until I had the sequence down pat. It's all in the timing.... :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
From what I can read this works for just the one wrench sign, not the double wrench sign. Should this work for the double wrench sign?

MLogan
2014 Passion
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, on my second try today, it worked. Will have to remember to reset it when at 40K miles as it will show up at 42K.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN

81 - 100 of 107 Posts