Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I feel like I used to be a part of this community a long while back when I bought my '08 451 when they first made it to this side of the pond.

I ended up selling it after about year due to not needing a car anymore - but I am now in need of another.

I have noticed a lot of used 2012 models at my local dealership that they absolutely acquired from Car-2-Go as I can still see some of the old sticker burn-ins.. hahah

But, they're selling for VERY cheap. 2012 Pure with about 13k miles for $4,995....

I've been out of the smart loop for a while, but is there any reason I should avoid the '12 model year, or it because it was part of Car-2-Go?

The price just seems too good to pass up on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We bought an ex car2go and it was well taken care of according to MB. Ours was 27k miles. Dealer wanted 7k for it but we talked them down to 5100. I knew it needed a new front fender due to a golf ball sized crease/dent. It also needed new tires and wheels, audio system and other goodies.
Overall, the car appears flawless with a spotless engine compared to the local Arizona ones we've seen that had brown caked up dirt.
We did get another key from the dealer and had them reprogram the existing key to reflect our new ownership otherwise it was still registered to Car2go.
Not that they would send someone over to take the car from Seattle, but at least it's out of their system.
We weren't too worried about what abuse the car could have gone through. It's not a high horsepower vehicle. Even so, a good flooring of the accelerator every now and then keeps the EGR clean

·
Registered
45 Posts
A dealer here in Clermont Fl has about 10 of them on his lot i figured it was some kind of fleet byout, never heard of cars to go. I opte on buying a 2012 with 7600 miles on in at a local Chevy dealer, was a trade in, almost like new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it was a total bust.

Anyone in the Chicagoland area avoid Midcity Nissan at all costs.

The fortwo they tried to sell me was missing the engine cover pin, entire foam black under passenger footwell that contains the also missing flat repair kit and tow hook. The horn didn't work, the key was not properly programmed so none of the buttons worked and the hood latches were broken and it flew open during our test ride.

On top of that they were forcing a $695 "city package" that supposedly included a safety check (when was that done?!), 3 car waxings, and unlimited washes....

I told the dealer he needed to fix a lot of the issues before he should sell it to ANYone including me as it was unsafe to drive.

He had two others in stock, both were missing flat repair kits, none of the keys were programmed and one of them wouldn't even start.

They all had melted window tint too, making it seem as if you were looking through soapy windows.

Blergh.

And this was after I had financing approved. I'm glad I went with my gut and asked for one last look and drive around before signing that line.

Back to hunting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got my first smart in 2010 brand new with 4 miles on the clock... Traded it in 3 years later with 15k on it and almost immediately regretted it. 3 more years pass, I actually found the car for sale with 65k on it. Beat to hell, a bunch of broken stuff, missing parts, etc and they wouldn't budge from 7400 out the door. No thanks. Then I came across my current car, a 2013 passion equipped exactly like I always wanted with 56k on it for 4900. Perfect condition... I love the smarts terrible resale value in this situation :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just as previously stated by "MesaAZguy", we purchased a 2012 used car2go fleet vehicle from a local dealer in Hillsboro, Oregon. Overall the car is in excellent condition and appears to have been well maintained. Like MesaAZguy, ours will need tires (and wheels to get away from the rental look). The dealer did mount a Kenwood Stereo in it and replaced the lower front valiance that appeared to have been damaged by a parking bumper barrier impact. To be on the safe side, I did change the oil, filters (air and oil) and the spark plugs but overall and in all respects the car is in great shape for the low price of 5100. Good advice about the key program, I will be checking with our local Smart dealer in Portland. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks

As a new owner and new to the Smart Car family, I am looking forward to using this site to advance my knowledge about Smart Cars and communicate with others who have more experience with them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For those buying used Smarts from other than Smart/MB dealers, make sure you change the oil with the proper spec oil. Even if they changed the oil [selling dealer] they may have put in regular non synthetic oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts