Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after literally hours of watching utube vids on this I need to ask the distinguished panel of experts.

For my 08 451 is there a fix for the car not wanting to go into reverse (at the worst times)??

Is my only option a stealership visit & lay down $180 gamble that they can reflash or update the software?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
If you pull on the right paddle shifter and it goes into manual mode, the pull again and hold it, it should shift back into auto mode. If it does this, you have the upgraded software. Otherwise MB should be able to tell you by the serial number if it has been upgraded.

That is assuming you have paddle shifters (not a Pure model)

There is a way to reset the computers by turning on the ignition and holding the brake pedal (??) or something like that. I am sure someone will chime in with the procedure (been a long day)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi Joe, Jim...
I did not know that if you use the paddle to select manual mode, then hold it to go back to auto mode means you have the latest software update. I asked my dealer if he could tell me if I had it, he said I did not have it. But, my car does go into manual and back to auto by holding the paddle shifter.
Yes, try to relearn the transmission... foot on brake, key to pos1 (engine off), shift slowly thru all gears (including shifter to the left for manual), then back to Park, key back to off, foot off brake. This has worked for me on several occasions.
Recently I have cleaned and lubed the clutch actuator, and I intend to remove and clean the gear shift motors, and change the transmission fluid soon.
So, Joe... is you can try these fixes, you may get lucky.
Everyone on this site is great for information, fixes, techniques, advice etc.... use it all. Also the evolution site is full of knowledge too.
dave

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So shoot yeah no paddle shifters.

Jim I will try to do the relearn the transmission thing. I am a motorcycle mechanic & do my own maintinence on my 02 Astro van so anything with automated stuff is new to me.

I am interested in the fact that MB should know if my car got the updates by serial # since so far they wont even speak to me without $180 and bringing it in.

Its just such a pain since it always happens when my wife is driving & of course at the worst possible times.

Guess I'm surprised there isn't a utube vid showing a fix. Or maybe the software is the fix.

Its the only thing I don't love about this car. It has revolutionized our life in Queens since Manhattan is now assaultable by car when it used to be only motorcycle access.

Thanks for all present and future help.

·
Registered
275 Posts
An '08? Probably time to clean out the trans shifter servo motor. See this thread:

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f369/transmission-shifter-motor-cleaning-46079/

Removing the trans shifter servo is a bit of a pain, but once removed you're more than halfway done if you're cleaning it out. But, if you want a new one, search eBay -- there's usually a few up there for $350 or so.

ALso, if your battery is older, this may also cause shifting issues when the shift servo tries to draw a lot of current and your battery can't supply it.

Best,
gearhead

1 - 6 of 6 Posts