Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.. New owner to a Smart Passion with 5speed manual.

I'm actually surprised at the power for such a small car that it is. Probably because it's also a lot lighter, so that helps a lot.

One strange thing I found is that when I go into reverse, the notch to get in is extremely short. Is that normal? Almost seems like it's not even in and i think i've had it pop out once while in reverse. I've been driving manual transmissionc cars for 20 years, and i was really surprised on how short that notch is to get into reverse. Normally, on other manual cars that i've driven, it's either longer, or your actually feel the gear when getting into reverse.

What cell phone holders are you guys using? I dont want to use the oem one because it just blocks all the controls.

Has anyone installed a rear view camera?

I plan on putting some snow tires on in the winter (nyc), but need to turn off traction control. From what I've seen, the easiest way is to buy the module to stick into your obd2 port. What's the best place to buy that?

Arm Rest. I think I'm going to order the arm rest from Madness. It's annoying not to have one.

Has anyone installed/retrofitted LED or HID lights to the Smart car?

Power/performance - Is madness the way to go? They seem very reputable. Do they have holiday sales I should wait for?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Welcome!
I assume you are working with a new 453 model by the manual trans question.. I would be cautious about turning off the traction control as with a short wheelbase car, it is quite easy to be spun around before you realize it.

Smart Maddness is a great resource for any aftermarket goodies like arm rests, etc. You can certainly add a rear view camera, but since there isn't much car back there, it isn't really needed (in my opinion)

·
Banned
844 Posts
Depends on how you set your rear view mirrors. i back into parking spaces most of the time. once you get the hang (size of and maneuvering) of the smart, you should be able to back up anywhere.

I was driving with my newly-wed wife once and after i flew backwards perfectly into a parking spot, when we exited the car, a woman shouted "I hate you!", my wife was immediately shocked. i asked why? she said she wishes could park as well as i do! we had a good laugh after that and i told her to "practice". the look on my wife's face? Priceless! (wish i had a camera handy!)

·
Registered
79 Posts
For the rear gear shift, it was the collar that was a bit tricky to get used to but I didn't really notice the short notch. Since I purchased the first 453 sold by the dealership last November, the sales person didn't know how to get it into the reverse gear and had to ask.

I had questioned someone on this board about the arm rest and they did not recommended it with a manual as it gets in the way of shifting. I guess you'll have to see and report back.

Since I couldn't get the rear view camera, I simply installed little round adhesive mirrors on each side view mirror that gives me great blind spot views and back end views as I'm backing up. Cost under $10.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I noticed the first few days of driving my 453 that the reverse position seemed a little more shallow than the rest. I finally realized that I wasn't pulling the collar up enough to completely engage reverse. Since then, the movement into reverse feels like all the rest. Maybe it's a similar situation. As far as the armrest goes, if the aftermarket one is anything like the stock one, it won't cause any problems at all.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I do not find reverse gear engagement to be too short. Perhaps it is not equal length because of the lock-out.

I would not defeat traction control on such a short wheelbase car. I have driven mine in the snow with chains on the back it did fine.

I just put my cell phone in the driver's door pocket. It's not ideal but I haven't found a front cupholder cell phone holder that works well in that confined space.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Hey everyone.. New owner to a Smart Passion with 5speed manual.

I'm actually surprised at the power for such a small car that it is. Probably because it's also a lot lighter, so that helps a lot.

One strange thing I found is that when I go into reverse, the notch to get in is extremely short. Is that normal? Almost seems like it's not even in and i think i've had it pop out once while in reverse. I've been driving manual transmissionc cars for 20 years, and i was really surprised on how short that notch is to get into reverse. Normally, on other manual cars that i've driven, it's either longer, or your actually feel the gear when getting into reverse.

What cell phone holders are you guys using? I dont want to use the oem one because it just blocks all the controls.

Has anyone installed a rear view camera?

I plan on putting some snow tires on in the winter (nyc), but need to turn off traction control. From what I've seen, the easiest way is to buy the module to stick into your obd2 port. What's the best place to buy that?

Arm Rest. I think I'm going to order the arm rest from Madness. It's annoying not to have one.

Has anyone installed/retrofitted LED or HID lights to the Smart car?

Power/performance - Is madness the way to go? They seem very reputable. Do they have holiday sales I should wait for?

Thanks!
1) Phone holders - I'm using the factory one. I only use three buttons, the volume buttons on the wheel and the media button, otherwise my Galaxy S7 handles 100% of everything else. Bluetooth automatically connects too.

2) HIDs/LEDs - I will be installing LED headlights soon. I desperately need to finish my LED headlight project, and the 453's halogen housings are just perfect for it.

3) Traction Control - I'm sure there's a fuse you can pull that would disable it...but do not turn off TC unless either your car is stuck or you want to have fun in a snowy parking lot.

4) Performance - Madness is your way to go unless you can find another speed shop locally. Anyone else would likely have to custom fab though. They often have sales, you just have to check their site often. They have armrests too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts