Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am a 2016 Smart Fortwo owner (453). I have a backup camera installed. Weather today is good and I have some free time this afternoon.
So here you are, a close up picture of what I have.
My backup camera requires 2 wires tap to the backup light.
Counting from the bottom of the left-side light cluster connector: (1st) and (3rd)black. Hope it helps

·
Registered
58 Posts
Since no one is answering, for whatever this is worth...

On my 2013 it is supposed to be yellow with red stripe. I'm installing the same thing today myself.
did you finish your install? i see two wires on the driver side harness that are yellow with red stripe. did you pick one of the two arbitrarily, or is there a reason to distinguish the two?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I assumed the two wires were one for input and one for jumper to right side. I de-pinned the connector and re-crimped the pin with my camera power in the set with the two. Technically it was relay power and not cam power exactly. I added a dash switch so I could turn the cam on whenever I wanted and put the cam on a relay to account for two possible power inputs. You can see the relay in the background.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess I shouldn't say "I assumed..." It's more a case of I sorta figured that this is what the wiring diagram was saying with the "backup lamps circuit" in the drawing on both the left and right but the "headlight system" only appearing on the left.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Dunk,

Sorry I missed this. On a 451, The wire to the backup bulb is yellow/red. The ground is brown. The left reverse lamp is is positions 4 and 5 respectively, the right in 5 and 2. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I assumed the two wires were one for input and one for jumper to right side. I de-pinned the connector and re-crimped the pin with my camera power in the set with the two. Technically it was relay power and not cam power exactly. I added a dash switch so I could turn the cam on whenever I wanted and put the cam on a relay to account for two possible power inputs. You can see the relay in the background.

View attachment 66672
View attachment 66673
That is a great idea. I'm changing my plan to be similar to yours. I was able to depin the connector using this video as a guide, but am not able to figure out how to add a third wire to the pin. Did you buy a new pin? If not, how did you manage to "open" the existing crimp(to add a third wire) without destroying the whole pin?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tried to follow the instructions in this video to remove the wires without destroying the connector:

I failed though and broke the connector. In case anyone else is interested, the part number for the connector is a0145458226 and it costs a little over $7 at the dealership. This is what it looks like:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.