Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing some rear strobe lights in my 2016 (453) and I have the factory LED tail lights (which I love).
(The front strobes are in and working great).
My intent is to replace the clear backup light bulb portion with an LED strobe that mimics standard white light, but strobes in color as necessary from the same bulb.

I know that fiddling with the turn signals and brake lights will cause rapid-flash and other such problems.
But my question is... do you think there will be any problems (CANBUS or ECM errors, etc...) with simply replacing the backup light with this aftermarket LED Strobe?
I mean it's just a clear, single filament bulb that doesn't flash or anything.

Jim

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Jim, Try it. The worst that happen. You can get some kind of code. Ordinary LEDs, play havoc on cars design to run incandescent lighting.

contact these people, they might be able to answer your question. They sell all kinds of automotive LED light. All brands of cars.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try it. The worst that happen. You can get some kind of code. Ordinary LEDs, play havoc on cars design to run incandescent lighting.
Yeah, I'm thinking of pulling the tail light bulbs and patching the LED in with some temporary leads... if it works, I've got some cutting and fitting to do in order to swap this light for the standard bulb. I just don't want to commit to that surgery until I know.

Jim

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll post some pictures of the install when complete.
I'm actually quite pleased with the results so far. I was able to use them while on an accident scene with a rolled over big rig yesterday. The firemen were all over that smart car!
My son has a 3D printer and has made me a special bracket for the controller (on the ceiling) and a box for all the fuses and wiring (that tucks nicely under the passenger dash, when done).

Jim

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Front Strobe bulbs are in the factory turn signal housings:

Control Panel is mounted on ceiling in front of overhead console:

I've only configured the Main Power Button, a Front Strobe on/off Switch, and a momentary button for when I'm just waving to others (front strobes only). There are six circuits available as either toggles (on/off) or momentary.

Wiring / Fuse Box is currently on the floor. It will mount, when finished, onto the two threaded bolts that hold the Tire Repair Kit in place on the firewall:

Currently the front two bulbs are wired and working, there are provisions in the box for two center strobes (which may go in the rocker panels) and two rear strobes as discussed above. Separate 5A fuse links for each pair, and a main 25A fuse, with a Negative bus bar.
Rather than trying to worm myself under the dash for all the wire work (I'm too old to be a contortionist), I made each run long enough that I could work on it in the floorboard, then slip it over the bolts and return the finger nuts on them when done. I was originally thinking I'd have to do this under the hood and would have to worry about water intrusion, but there is a huge amount of space behind that tiny glovebox and adjacent the factory fuse panel.
Each Strobe bulb has 5 wires... (-) Negative, (+) Mode 1, (+) Mode 2, (+) Mode 3, and Sync/Pattern change. And each bulb is connected with waterproof deutsch connectors.

Jim

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well today I installed my rear strobes. As much as I wanted to use the concealed strobes in place of the Backup bulb, I just couldn't commit to hacking up a $500 (one on each side) housing just to find out if it would work. So I dropped back to plan B... not as stealth, but very, VERY effective:

These dual color strobes were set into the rear panel with recessed mounts. They are almost flush (no thicker than the adjacent license plate) and the black housing sets off the other black accents on the car. I still have to do the wiring because I am waiting on some 4-pin Deutsch connectors to arrive, but I was in the mood to cut into the car, so I thought I'd tackle mounting them today. Wasn't tough. These plastic panels cut and drill pretty easily, and there was plenty of room between the panel and the back of the interior storage area.

Once things are finalized, I'll post a video of the end results.
Jim

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not the best video, shot on my cell phone in my driveway, but I wanted to post something...

Front Strobes

Rear Strobes

These are only white/amber, but there are some video artifacts that make it look like blue lights are used... Not.

Pretty much done now.
Jim

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Controller:

Visor Lights in Up Position:

Visor Lights Down (only in use on scene):

That's as stealth as I could get.
Unobtrusive until needed, then they make a point.
Dash Cam also visible on the passenger side.
Haven't mounted the rear camera yet.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts