Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, let me say from the start that I do not subscribe to any conspiracy theory websites! Lol
My question stems from the fact that whenever I drive by a specific section of road near me, my car suddenly goes into "limp home mode" and I get the yellow triangle in the display. The car will not accelerate from a stop worth a flip (which almost got me ran over twice) and will not go over 60 mph regardless of how much throttle I give it. The cruise control won't work and the transmission doesn't want to shift correctly. If I stop and disconnect the battery for a minute then reconnect, it resets and all is well..until I pass that spot again.
The only thing I can think of that would effect it like that is the cell tower that has been put up right there. I never had a problem driving through there before the cell tower, am I crazy?
Has anyone else had a simular experience? Kermit, i'm hoping you see this as it is near you too. (relatively) It is on FL20 almost at the junction with SR79 in Ebro, Fl.
For now I am simply going to avoid the area, but maybe I will eventually wrap my ecm/tcm with copper mesh, like a Faraday cage...and my hat
"crazy in the head" Craig

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
For what it's worth, I've been through that intersection at Ebro quite a few times with no such effects on my car (2008 cabrio). But, it has probably been four months since I passed that way, so something may have changed (UFO base established nearby). It's on the route I usually take on my way to and from Kermit's place in Mossy Head.

There's only been a single time when I suspected RF influence. I was at a stop, idling on an upslope in Dothan, Alabama when the engine simply quit. It immediately started normally, with no other effects. And, it has never happened again.

Oh, and I have the A451 CC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is an Area 451 CC
NCC, I forgot that you were close by too
Is what I am describing the "limp home mode", or just some abhorant behavior due to UFO's?
If aliens were messing with anybody, surely it would have been you NCC1701(Enterprise)! ROFL!

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
There's a spot near me that will do that to my car too. However, if I disconnect the Area451 cruise control, I can drive through that same spot without any problem. (IIRC, when I first encountered this "behavior" a few years ago, I spoke to one of the engineers at smart and was told that they had heard of it a few times before, but only in cars with aftermarket cruise control.)
Here's the old thread about it:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32219

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think he did mean disconnect, my CC was not engaged at the times of the incidences. I will wrap my CC wiring in some foil or copper mesh in case I need to go that way again.
I read through that whole thread, and it seems I am not the only one who had the experience.
Hooray, I'm not crazy! Well..maybe not in this instance anyway, probably won't stop wearing my copper mesh hat. It probably isn't doing any good, but why take chances?

I may have Alzheimers, but at least I don't have Alzheimers!
Craig "tin foil is my friend"

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Sounds familiar...Knock on wood...."Come in!" :D No Alzheimers but maybe a little dementia around the edges.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
I suspect that by "disconnect", you mean disengage.

Still, this is interesting! Standing by for more feedback.
I used the bypass plug to disconnect it. (It wasn't engaged when the car died.)
Now when I have to go to that area, I take a route that goes on the other side of the intersection and all is well. The spot that zaps the car is very localized.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts