Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's at least a few of us that bought from Inskip in Warwick that do live in Rhode Island, so....

How about it?

I saw an article on the Projo website saying that this guy up in Central Falls was the 16th Smart owner in the state... Where are the rest of us?

Say hello! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So there's been 49 views, but no one's stepped up. Ok, well, let me speak for myself, then. I live in Charlestown, on the non-beach side of Rte 1.

Just thought it would be cool if we could meet up somewhere, someday, like at the Denny's off Exit 7. I've seen other oldschool cars meet up there, I think it would be hilarious to just flood their lot with a bunch of smarts. :)

C'mon, folks! Whattayasay?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Too bad I'm on the Other Coast...

Sylvan,

Sounds like fun... unfortunately my wife and I live in the Pacific Northwest. :(
My sister lives up in the Toronto area and one of these days, I'm going to drive up there to see her. I'd also like to see the New England area too. Unfortunately, this will be classified under "One-Of-These-Days" projects. Currently my wife, myself, and our English Bulldog travel almost ever weekend down to Portland, Oregon to see my In-Laws in our smart car (about a 200 mile ride one-way). Maybe next year. :)
Good Luck in a reply from someone local. :)

"Cheers!"

-Tom L.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aw, thanks, Tom! :) I've got a friend up in Nanaimo, BC who posts her pictures quite a bit, it sure is lovely in the PNW! :)

It is difficult to see family when they live clear across the country. My folks moved out to Oklahoma a few years ago and we get to see them once a year, maybe. Usually we fly there, or they fly back here.
Worse for my inlaws, who live right up the road from us, and their daughter moved to Alaska! *lol* ]

Thanks for the luck! Hope it works and I'm not stuck talking to myself. :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
smarts in RI

So there's been 49 views, but no one's stepped up. Ok, well, let me speak for myself, then. I live in Charlestown, on the non-beach side of Rte 1.

Just thought it would be cool if we could meet up somewhere, someday, like at the Denny's off Exit 7. I've seen other oldschool cars meet up there, I think it would be hilarious to just flood their lot with a bunch of smarts. :)

C'mon, folks! Whattayasay?
I'm in Woonsocket and still awaiting my smartie. Larry DeCoste is a member of this club, and I have conversed with him on a number of occassions. I am just getting very anxious about getting my car. Reserved June 25, 2007 (1271). Per Sue Lemoi at Inskip, mine is in production and I should have it, hopefully, by early July. 13 month wait. Uggggh!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Argh! The wait!!

Sue's a real peach, though. :) She and Sheri Giannattasio really hustled to help us with the orphans when we thought we'd be vehicle-less, and when it turned out we weren't going to be, and needed to trade in the truck instead, were very accommodating anyways.

I hope "early July" changes to "early June" for you! :)

And hello! :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well, I guess my ETA is pretty well set at July 23. Unless something major happens and my car gets on the line TODAY (how likely is that?), I will have my car at the end of July. Oh, the pain of waiting!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Smartie loved RI!! did not see another during the week there, but, Smartie was a celebrity for sure! Especially on the Cross Sound Ferry. man, I should have had a PR man with me. or, at least a press secretary. :D

:smartje:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm game for a get together

As Doenut said I'm the guy in Memorial Day weekend TagTales with the "Ladybug" in CF. Last Sat. I drove around a Nazo life size puppet in CF parade. An hour in first gear and still got 27 mpg with the air on.

I live in Riverside and would be interested in "smart meet". I just checked out tomorrow's East Longmeadow get together. But that is 2 hours one way! Too many hours!

As I just PMed Doenut, I did a 422 miles RT to Parsippanny NJ on Memorial day weekend. Averaged 70 mph and got 44 mpg. No problems with trucks or anything on the whole of the CT turnpike.

As of May 21, Sue said their were 35 smarts sold in RI.

Have you gotten anyone else interested in a meet? If so, when?

Take care, Larry

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hubby and I saw two smarts in Narragansett on Wednesday, a silver and a yellow.. Unfortunately, we were incognito in our Prius at the time and could only say "yay!" to ourselves as they drove past. :)

Yeah, East Longmeadow is a little too far for us, even considering the train of thought where "I have to drive 20 minutes to get to your house? That's crazy!" is the norm for most people we know around here...

What you see here is the extent of the interest so far, I haven't gotten any PMs or anything. If there's 35 of us, I wonder if it's just that people just don't happen to be on the site, or aren't interested in being social?

·
Registered
17 Posts
smart & prius

Sylvan,

My wife's car is a Prius. It didn't make economic sense to have two of them so I got the smart.

I think Doenut's idea of going through Sue Lemoi will work best for a late July - early August meet after her car arrives on or before July 23 (to keep up the positive vibes).

See you then, Larry

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, East Longmeadow is a little too far for us
:smile: ya should have been there :smile:

yes, the distance is a bit far. That said, I would be 'keen' on a local gathering you RI people decide on. send me an invite, when it happens!

-j

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sylvan,

My wife's car is a Prius. It didn't make economic sense to have two of them so I got the smart.

I think Doenut's idea of going through Sue Lemoi will work best for a late July - early August meet after her car arrives on or before July 23 (to keep up the positive vibes).

See you then, Larry
:) We got the Prius in '04 when it was still possible to buy one used. :) When we needed to trade in the truck recently, we just couldn't afford a new Prius, and they don't even have used ones on the lot any more- they're selling like hotcakes now! So I got the smart. :)

I agree- Doenut's idea of having Inskip host the meet is excellent. Everybody knows where it is, and it's pretty centrally located. I hope her smart comes in soon!!!

See ya!

And ifishcat, definitely, you'll know about it when we get our meet on!

·
Registered
1 Posts
RI Gathering

I picked up my orphan Smart on July 28th, just after the gathering at Inskip.
Now that autumn is approaching, we should plan another get together to see the autumn foliage. I was surprised at all of you Rhode Islanders that do not know your way around the state. It IS small. I also ride a motorcycle and when my friends and I go riding, we easily do 100 miles in one afternoon around RI and Connecticut.
When we went to the Woodstock Fair Labor Day weekend, I took my handicapped daughter along. We took the Smart and followed the others on their motorcycles. I had to apologize to my friends because the Smart drew more of a crowd than their 13 motorcycles. It has been fun, but when stangers kept putting their fingerprints on the windows I went over to their motorcycles and put my fingerprints on their bikes! I also do not tolerate children or dogs trying to climb up the side of the Smart.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts