Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the process Rial's 15" with KUMO ecsta ast 205x50x15" The ride is a different car!!! GREAT!!! 2 fronts for sale PM offer, PIX's

Hope you all like, p1nball

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
p1nball - Nice, very nice! I like the stance. The car seems to even sit with more authority!! You said the ride is improved? Less transmitted road noise, less hammering the passengers, better steering response, better cornering, please elaborate!!

P.S. Is that a DTH exhaust?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Will EXPLAIN FIRST TRIP ON THE NEW WHEELS

p1nball - Nice, very nice! I like the stance. The car seems to even sit with more authority!! You said the ride is improved? Less transmitted road noise, less hammering the passengers, better steering response, better cornering, please elaborate!!

P.S. Is that a DTH exhaust?

Just got to work, like a whole other car!!!! First , on the interstate There was NO buffeting from trucks or the wind!!!(GREAT) Was at 75-80MPH. Second there also was much less road noise transmitted. When I hit large road joints or breaks in pavement, that hammering is also greatly improved. Lastly, the handling is vastly improved, really want to push it now!!! Yes that is a DTH single side exhaust, getting better with age, or I'm hearing impaired!!! The KUMO tire have a softer rubber and do quite it down,also handling as also great as mentioned previously. It's a good value tire By no means the best for everyone!!! Will get better photo's of the tire and new splines (LUG BOLTS) Chrome, tommorow

p1nball:D:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's a very nice looking mod. It does seem to sit much better on the ground, plus that "anti-buffetting" effect interests me.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

·
Super Moderator
29,390 Posts
Thoughts on going to 16s?

Some have said the move to 16 in wheels/tires is also a great improvement and improves ride/handling also. Obvious drawbacks are increased cost, increased weight and even lower profile tires (Tire Rack show 45 series vs. 50 series with the 15 in wheels)

Anyone done the 16s? Pros and cons? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very nice!

Did you have suspension mods already? Car seems dropped!

Hi Vince, Nope, those are the stock springs!! I was going to lower the car, but it really looks good with this set up. Thanks for all the great support from you. and everyone on the site!!!!!:cool::D
p1nball

PS You Guy's on the coast are the best!!! REAL CAR GUY"S!!!!

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
Joel,

Way to PIMP (said in jest for the politically correct) your ride! - It's beginning to look like a muscle car and looks great!

And how did you get your bumble bee to wink for the picture??

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I saw that you went with the 205/50/15, I asked myself why I had gone with the (elsewhere suggested http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f64/new-wheels-tires-have-transformed-car-6065/) 195/50/15. I thought that I would only get a close approximation of the stock outside diameter with my set up.

So I went to the tire dimension calculator and I got this info:

Totals are in inches (195/50), (205/50), (Difference)
Sidewall Height: 3.84, 4.04, 0.2
Section Width: 7.68, 8.07, 0.39
Overall Diameter: 22.68, 23.07, 0.39
Circumference: 71.24, 72.48, 1.24
Revs per mile: 889.36, 874.18, -15.18

If your speedometer reads: 65 You're going approximately: 66.13

All of this seems perfectly acceptable, and coupled with the extra rubber on the road, likely more desirable.

Good work. I think I'll go with the 205's on the next tire change.

This thread should probably be cross posted over in the Smart Car Wheels & Tires - Smart Car of America Forums

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
p1nball - Did you ever consider any other wheels? When you decided on the Rial wheels, which tire combinations did you consider before choosing the 205/50's and Why Kumo's?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My crazy reasons!!??!!

p1nball - Did you ever consider any other wheels? When you decided on the Rial wheels, which tire combinations did you consider before choosing the 205/50's and Why Kumo's?
First off I have gone through this many times and on many different vehilcles. This one for some unknown reason, I really have grown fond of. Call me crazy!!! I trolled around all the Smart sites and looked what everyone was trying for wheels and tires. For the wheels, I was going for all black at first, but when I saw the RIAL's on the web sites, and on Smart that were upfitted at South Charlotte Smart. The RIAL's looked the best, but there was a problem!! The dealer only replaced the wheel not the tire!! The wheel looked good but using those DoughNut tire that came with the Smart, well not for me. It missed the POINT. I did see some folks going for 195'sx15" or 16"x45 or even 17". For me 16" would have been the most I would have gone for. It just hit me that a 205 wide tire would be the right proportion on the wheel for the car!! As for the KUMO's, to be honest
Their were three other choices:
1. Falken Ziex
2. BF Goodrich g-Force Sport
3. Yokohoma S Drive
4. Kumo Kumho Ecsta AST
For the money and all the personal reviews,even the weak,or the very poor, almost all liked it or loved it. But all stated that for the money you would have to pay much more to find a tire as good or better!! Also looked at the type of vechile that this tire was placed on. Also what that person wrote about it on that vehicle. Seem this was the choice to make! It works well, looks good and does all I want of it, at a value price point!!Hope this explains it to you all!! pinball:cool:

·
Registered
596 Posts
If your speedometer reads: 65 You're going approximately: 66.13
Derek, I went with 185/60-15 Michelins on stock wheels. They are also a larger diameter, nearly an inch as I recall. What I found after using my GPS and checking against the portable radar boards the cops set up is that now my speedometer reads absolutely correct. I agree that it should have made it read slow, but at least on mine with the stock tires it read really high and now it is correct. However, after numerous runs on the interstate over minimum tests of at least 20 miles, my odometer does reads low and therefore I have to multiply the miles times 1.056 to calculate the mpg accurately. Manufacturers have tolerances in both speedometers and odometers. On mine with the stock tires it appears they wanted it to look like I was going faster and getting better mpg - gee what a plan.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Love the look~!

P1nball -
Did you stay with the 15/5 for front and 15/6 for rears? Or did you go 15/6 all around for the wheels? Any offset problems?
Would like something along this line when my non-orphan order arrives.
Thanks!:)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Went with all 15x6's

P1nball -
Did you stay with the 15/5 for front and 15/6 for rears? Or did you go 15/6 all around for the wheels? Any offset problems?
Would like something along this line when my non-orphan order arrives.
Thanks!:)
Did that so as to be able to rotate all the tires. I hate to be so positive on this MOD, but the handling, on the freeway is so greatly improved, with most, if not all that buffeting gone. The cornering is also impressive, with much better ride quality. Very happy with around performance of the wheels and tires.

p1nball:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did the same set up and love it. Hyway ride is much better ( reduced buffeting from Semi- Trucks). Lost a little MPG, but just installed DT twin pipe and will try the new air fliter, so maybe I'll pick back up the lost MPG.

Which bring up the next question...anyone tried out adding any sound deading material aroung the engine ( inside the cab)...the new pipe is a bit louder than I was hopeing for. Not bad, but does have some drone to it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[email protected] Air filter/ DHT Made up the difference

I did the same set up and love it. Hyway ride is much better ( reduced buffeting from Semi- Trucks). Lost a little MPG, but just installed DT twin pipe and will try the new air fliter, so maybe I'll pick back up the lost MPG.

Which bring up the next question...anyone tried out adding any sound deading material aroung the engine ( inside the cab)...the new pipe is a bit louder than I was hopeing for. Not bad, but does have some drone to it.
I have the original DTH, has drone, but did get some what used to it. The [email protected] filter did put some umph back in it. I was trolling through the treads and did find a post that had the web sites for sound deading material. It was from a member that really know his materials, and source. Sorry it was very late at nite and forgot to book mark it. If I find it I will get link on this post. From what was written these materials would help. Using a resonator or super trapp will only drop it 2 db at most!!! Hope this helps. p1nball:cool:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts