Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title states, right rear signal/brake is not working. It will light I turn lights on, but no right signal and no brake light.
I replaced the bulb with a new one, no luck.
I tried the right light panel on the left and same result. Tried the left on the right and it wouldn’t blink either - works perfectly fine on the left though.
Replaced fuses 6,7,12 hoping something would help along the way.
Any other suggestions? I wanna dodge going to the dealer 3 hours away

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be really careful with the bulb type. The 451 uses P21 or 1157 bulbs for the tail lights/turn signal. These bulbs have 2 filaments and 2 contacts at the base of the bulb. It’s worth double checking. I’m some cases, the incorrect base can bridge the gap between the two base connections and the bulb always stays on because it’s receiving voltage from both the directional signal and tail light circuits simultaneously.

It’s also possible to install the 1157 bulbs incorrectly. The metal contacts in the housing can flex a bit and can allow the bulb to be installed 180° out of orientation.

There are two little protrusions on the bulb’s body, one higher and than the other with respect to the base. These protrusions or tabs are supposed to prevent the bulb from being installed backwards (180° off), but they aren’t foolproof.

If you are handy with a voltmeter, you should be able to read 12 volts on the black/green wire as the turn signal relay clicks. The tail lamps are connected via the grey/green wire and should be a constant 12 volts when the lights are turned on. The brown wire is the ground for both.

Speaking of grounds, it’s worth checking the brown ground wire. A continuity check with a good ground location on the car’s frame and the brown wire is a good test.

I hope this helps…
I am going to look into the rest of this tomorrow but I was thrown off by the bulb size, I got 7528 as replacements and that’s what was originally in them. Replaced both sides and left is working fine - is this not the correct size?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts