Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I have these stock alloy rims on my Smart ED:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a34ev955ky70wy/2014-04-07 13.36.41.jpg

From the looks of it, there's no wheel covers on them and it's just a solid piece. Is there any kind of full-moon / dish type wheel covers that can be attached to these, or would I have to jury-rig something? I'd like to get better aerodynamics for highway range.
In a word: NO :(

If you want to go with wheel covers, you'll need a set of steel rims :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Wal mart 16" pizza pans with holes drilled for air valve and 1 hole per spoke for zip ties. 1 zip tie per spoke zipped to spoke with the "tails" poking out of the holes and then take the "head" cut off from another tie and zip it to the piece sticking out of the hole and then trim off the "tail". I have mine like this and have had good results and it doesn't look that bad either. Chumly. Pictures can be seen on the thread "Dam, It Works"

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Doesn't look bad at all :)

Wal mart 16" pizza pans with holes drilled for air valve and 1 hole per spoke for zip ties. 1 zip tie per spoke zipped to spoke with the "tails" poking out of the holes and then take the "head" cut off from another tie and zip it to the piece sticking out of the hole and then trim off the "tail". I have mine like this and have had good results and it doesn't look that bad either. Chumly. Pictures can be seen on the thread "Dam, It Works"

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Chumly,

Any reason for zipping it to the spokes first as opposed to just zipping it "around" the spoke and back through ???

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Unless you are using an unusually long zip tie, it can't be done?

Think about how you would feed it through the pie pan, around the spoke, and back through the pan? And then repeat several times?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, would anyone happen to have the exact make/model number of the Walmart pizza tray? I don't have a Walmart near me (at least, not within range of my battery) so I'd be ordering sight unseen, probably off their website.

Edit: Fantastic work on the other aero mods by the way, just noticed the Lexan grill cover and the air dam.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
They are just 16 inch steel pizza pans, drilled and painted. I think they were about $4.00-$5.00 apiece.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Chumly,

Any reason for zipping it to the spokes first as opposed to just zipping it "around" the spoke and back through ???
The first time I tried it I only used 3 spokes with 2 drilled holes per spoke. It worked fine until I sped up to 80 mph on I 55 and when I got home I only had 2 left. I actually felt it when they fell off the car but didn't stop because of traffic. The set up with 9 spokes with 1 tie per spoke has given me no problems so far. The wheel covers are good for about 2%-4% better mileage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts