Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an opinion from the Smart crowd. I bought this 2013 ED used. Got a great deal due to 3 of the rims being lightly bent. Looking at these 6 spoke Genius rims. I know it's an ED but I'd still like something a little sportier looking. Also looking for something easier to keep clean than the factory rims allow. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Were I you, I'd first want to know if any underlying damage was done bending three wheels. Car doesn't weigh enough to do that at low speed. Or it was one helluva hole. Might wanna check....,,

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had it down to the Smart Center for the 20k checkup. They had it on the rack and gave it a clean bill of health. I've been driving it daily for a few months. So nothing has popped up.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've bent a couple factory rims on potholes already. With the low aspect tires it doesn't take much. Wish there were 14" wheels so I could use thicker tires!

I got whatever was cheapest on TireRack. Under $100 each for the front (those are the ones that bend first!) Don't know or care what brand they were.

EDIT: why replace them if the bend is so slight that it hasn't been a problem for the last few months? Just keep driving until they get bent enough to throw them out (i.e. can't balance anymore or not holding air).

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,756 Posts
POTHOLES @ speed are not your friend.

Show me a smart without at least one bent rim and I'll show you an owner who never takes it off the sidewalk. Buying a lease return/auction smart may also show more abuse as often they are treated like a "rental car."

Sidebar - changing to aftermarket rims takes away some of the safety engineered into the smart as you are eliminating the break away rims in an accident.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've bent a couple factory rims on potholes already. With the low aspect tires it doesn't take much. Wish there were 14" wheels so I could use thicker tires!

I got whatever was cheapest on TireRack. Under $100 each for the front (those are the ones that bend first!) Don't know or care what brand they were.

EDIT: why replace them if the bend is so slight that it hasn't been a problem for the last few months? Just keep driving until they get bent enough to throw them out (i.e. can't balance anymore or not holding air).

I'm looking to replace them because they are causing some minor vibration at higher speeds. Plus, I've had several tire guys tell me they could cause tire issues if I don't do something. On top of that, these rims are ridiculous to keep clean.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Show me a smart without at least one bent rim and I'll show you an owner who never takes it off the sidewalk. Buying a lease return/auction smart may also show more abuse as often they are treated like a "rental car."

Sidebar - changing to aftermarket rims takes away some of the safety engineered into the smart as you are eliminating the break away rims in an accident.

That sidebar part is fascinating. I did not know about that.

·
17,476 Posts
I highly recommend Genius Wheels. I have their Darwin design on Tucker, and they're extremely robust. They clean easy, I still haven't bent them despite the car getting swallowed by some legendary Chicago potholes. Genius Wheels are actually made by TSW, so they're very good quality.

Reactions: emailchrishall

·
17,476 Posts
I almost think the sport package on the 453s have wheels specifically designed to look good and clean easy...grab a cloth, stick into the spokes, rotate your hand, clean! :)

Reactions: emailchrishall

·
Banned
844 Posts

I've got 8 wheels without a single ding in them and 72+K miles on the car, most of the miles are on 195/50-15 tires inflated to 40psi.

·
17,476 Posts
You have those crazy SM3 wheels...they're made out of cheap and remarkably heavy metal. I bet those things would survive an asteroid impact. :)

·
Banned
844 Posts
You have those crazy SM3 wheels...they're made out of cheap and remarkably heavy metal. I bet those things would survive an asteroid impact. :)
Actually, they're not that heavy! even with 195/50-15 tires, a wheel/tire weighs 32 pounds, the stock steel wheels/tires with wheel covers weigh the same! they sure look beefy though!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chris,
If you can afford it, I would highly recommend going with one tire/rim size all the way around, you can then rotate!!!!
I went with 17" on all fours....Looks fantastic and handles much better.

Greg

·
Banned
844 Posts
Chris,
If you can afford it, I would highly recommend going with one tire/rim size all the way around, you can then rotate!!!!
I went with 17" on all fours....Looks fantastic and handles much better.

Greg
with 17's all around, you lose an inch of air/rubber between the wheel and the road, minimum. i'd stay with 15's and go either with 195/50-15's (have now) or 185/60-15's (gonna get to replace the 195's)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where I drive to work every day is a pretty poor end of town. So the roads aren't kept up the best. So I want to keep as much rubber between the rims and the road as possible. I just bought new back tires. Could I go with that size tire on the front and just buy new front tires? What's the draw back to going with a bigger tire on the front? I'm assuming I'd loose a few miles of range or something, right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Chris,

I went with 17"s all the way around strictly on looks, and didn't care about Range, Rubber on the road etc....
I would not be the one to ask for a recommendation....Sorry
Perhaps the forum could weigh in more....

Greg

·
Banned
844 Posts
Where I drive to work every day is a pretty poor end of town. So the roads aren't kept up the best. So I want to keep as much rubber between the rims and the road as possible. I just bought new back tires. Could I go with that size tire on the front and just buy new front tires? What's the draw back to going with a bigger tire on the front? I'm assuming I'd loose a few miles of range or something, right?

i'm not sure about your smart, but mine with stock front tires, the speedo was reading 60mph and GPS was reading 58mph, with my 195/50-15's on the front it reads 60mph and GPS is 59mph. you have a lot more room for rear tires, fronts can go up to 185/60-15, if you wanna go crazy, get old vw bug tires in back, same weight but a little over 2" larger in diameter. a larger rear tire will increase your range with an ED. the reason why smarts have staggered tires is for stability purposes, being RWD with a rear engine it needs more rubber back there to make it so the front tires will give before the rear, natural understeer.

you could run 165/80-15's (beetle tires) all around if you got a lift kit from smart madness, those are 25" outside diameter, stock tires are 22.3 and 22.6 respectively. i've been debating over getting the bug tires in back, it increases gas mileage a little, less engine turns per mile. i'll dump my kumho 195/50-15's this month and either get 175/65-15's or 185/60-15's all around.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts