Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my 15” wheels with some sexy 17” Genius Newton wheels. They seems to be fine but when I get the car to 60mph on the highway, I start to hear a grinding, ringing noise. They are brand new and I haven’t hit a pothole or anything that would bend them. Anybody had this experience? Is there a break in period?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Are there clearance issues with the calipers? If it is close, the interference may only show up when you are at speed. Otherwise I agree that it is probably the bearings

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If it is a bearing, put your old wheels back, sound would still be there. I’m guessing it’s new tire sound. Look carefully for signs of contact.....

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had the Darwin 17s on mine with a similar issue, but only when cornering. I had a broken spring on the driver side front. It was better after replacing the spring, but rubbed the inner fender near the inner shoulder, only on the tightest turns. It’s worth checking the ball joints, tie rods and bearings for play as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m guessing you bought 4 rear wheels. The genius wheels are wider. Your backspacing is too high. Do you also have aftermarket stainless braided brake hoses? The sound you are describing would be similar to a braided line rubbing the wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts