Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I called my smart center in Clearwater, FL (where I got my current 2014 ED cabrio lease) to find out if they might have any information on the release date of the next smart ED. I found out that they are no more. The dealer is no longer selling smarts, though they can supposedly service them. RIP.

I have been considering getting a used Chevy Spark EV as my next vehicle when my lease runs out in June this year. Spark EV's are a rare breed in this state (of Florida). I'm going on a road trip up north in May and might be swinging by some dealers up there to check out their inventory on Spark EVs.

·
Super Moderator
28,963 Posts
More of these to come, apparently. Supposedly the Tysons Corner center is shutting down also. :(

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Today I called my smart center... to find out if they might have any information on the release date of the next smart ED.

The San Diego Center manager told me yesterday that the latest projection for its arrival is June, but that the timing has been sort of a moving target.

·
Registered
896 Posts
No more New smarts for Las Vegas.
Fletcher Jones Imports/Mercedes has quit selling new smarts including ELECTRIC DRIVES.
I'm wondering how this grand plan of Mercedes is going to workout ?
I predict, as Mercedes brings more of their own badged Electric Drive cars to market here, there won't be any reason to hassle with importing the oddball, novelty smart car here and in Canada.
My daughter works with a middle aged couple at a research center in southern France. The couple both ride Harley's and they have a 2014 smart for inclement weather and shopping.
I'm sure it will keep selling well in a compact area like Europe, with their tiny streets, crowded cities, very limited parking, exactly where and what it was designed for.

I think the writing is on the wall for smart in North America. It's easier to see without the
rose colored glasses on. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yea. Like i've said all along. The US hardly has a Smart dealership network planted enough to facilitate the service and sales of I.C.E. ForTwo's, let alone ED's with roughly 1/4 the driving range. My prime example is that I currently own a 2016 ForTwo Prime Coupe. If i had an ED... I would BARELY make it to my nearest dealership. 72.9 miles one way. And if there's heavy traffic, or heaven forbid an accident on the PA turnpike (which is NOT even REMOTELY uncommon)... I'd really be pushing it.... or i'd PHYSICALLY be pushing it... one of the two.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the feeling that there won't be any smart centers outside of the states where MB needs to have a compliance car to sell. I would guess that MB wanted to stop selling all smarts in the US but they kept the ED here simply as a compliance car. It that's true then it would probably be pretty tough for smart centers outside a few states to get any cars to sell.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The San Diego Center manager told me yesterday that the latest projection for its arrival is June, but that the timing has been sort of a moving target.
Could it be the delay of the 453 ED is directly related to the closing down of various smart centers across the country? With no one to sell them why bother to even import them?:shrug:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yea. Like i've said all along. The US hardly has a Smart dealership network planted enough to facilitate the service and sales of I.C.E. ForTwo's, let alone ED's with roughly 1/4 the driving range. My prime example is that I currently own a 2016 ForTwo Prime Coupe. If i had an ED... I would BARELY make it to my nearest dealership. 72.9 miles one way. And if there's heavy traffic, or heaven forbid an accident on the PA turnpike (which is NOT even REMOTELY uncommon)... I'd really be pushing it.... or i'd PHYSICALLY be pushing it... one of the two.

What if you wanted to be comfortable on your trip and used the heater or A/C ? In the rain with headlights and wipers going......range down to 50 miles with a newer battery maybe 60 ? Boy that sounds like fun.

·
Super Moderator
28,963 Posts
Could it be the delay of the 453 ED is directly related to the closing down of various smart centers across the country? With no one to sell them why bother to even import them?:shrug:
I think it's more likely smart intends to focus on the core states (CARB states) for the EDs going forward. Once Mercedes has enough electric/hybrid models to sell, the fortwo may be withdrawn from the US/Canadian markets....:shrug:

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think it's more likely smart intends to focus on the core states (CARB states) for the EDs going forward. Once Mercedes has enough electric/hybrid models to sell, the fortwo may be withdrawn from the US/Canadian markets....:shrug:
Agreed, that is the same thing I said a few post above.
How many customers looking for a economy car, are thinking "Mercedes Benz" muchless walking into a MB dealership.

·
Super Moderator
28,963 Posts
Mercedes doesn't sell economy cars, but it does sell cars with electric and hybrid drivetrains....:)

·
Registered
896 Posts
I tend to agree, especially after reading.....

Mercedes-Benz Parent Daimler Speeds Up Electric Car Plans

Daimler said it expects Mercedes-Benz Cars to bring more than 10 new electric cars to market by 2022( that is only little more than 4 1/2 years away) through 10 billion euros ($10.8 billion) of investment, having previously aimed to achieve the target by 2025

How many will make it to our shores :shrug: time will tell. I feel two years at best before smart is gone from the U.S.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I called my smart center in Clearwater, FL (where I got my current 2014 ED cabrio lease) to find out if they might have any information on the release date of the next smart ED. I found out that they are no more. The dealer is no longer selling smarts, though they can supposedly service them. RIP.
Today I spoke with the former sales manager of the Clearwater smart center.

He said the Tampa smart center would also get out of selling smarts. In fact, he said, I'd probably be hard-pressed to find any smart center in Florida that will sell the new ED to me, simply because he didn't think there'd be any left in the state; though he didn't know for sure. He also said, he thinks that Mercedes will eventually stop selling smarts altogether in North America.

So, I guess that seals the fate of the smart for me. There won't be a 2017 ED model in my future. It's a sad day.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Yeah maybe so... With all that in mind, we have talked our son out of a 453 once his lease on his 451 is over in July. I and my wife went through the fiasco when Fiat left high and dry in the 80's and support and service became non-existent. The Fiats were a rather simple car electrically and mechanically ( as compare to our technological terrors we drive now) and were easily remedied by a normal person with car knowledge. Smart's own mechanics , on the other hand, can barely seem to figure out the very vehicle they were supposedly trained for at times...
We will all have to see how this all plays out . I wonder how many more dealers will be closing up...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Today I spoke with the former sales manager of the Clearwater smart center.

He said the Tampa smart center would also get out of selling smarts. In fact, he said, I'd probably be hard-pressed to find any smart center in Florida that will sell the new ED to me, simply because he didn't think there'd be any left in the state; though he didn't know for sure. He also said, he thinks that Mercedes will eventually stop selling smarts altogether in North America.

So, I guess that seals the fate of the smart for me. There won't be a 2017 ED model in my future. It's a sad day.
SC Clearwater was actually the last freestanding independent SC in Florida. SC Tampa was folded into the new Mercedes building when it opened... there's no actual signage or anything inside or outside of the building... same with Sarasota... it folded into the new Mercedes building that opened 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 ED Smart available at Lokey Mercedes (Cleawater)

Hi All,

I just called Lokey this morning (I spoke with Joe Reviere) to ask if they had any 2017 electric ForTwo in stock for test driving. Long story short, there are none on-site BUT they can order vehicles from other Smart locations and have it sent over; however, it takes 3–5 days for it to arrive in Clearwater. I'm looking to purchase a vehicle but I'd assume the same will apply for leased vehicles. FYI. He also confirmed that none of the new inventory includes gas engine models...can't wait to see more charging stations popping up :). Hope this helps!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts