Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sid Caesar, Master of TV Comedy, Dies at 91

Richard Natale

Sid Caesar, one of the first stars created by television via his weekly live comedy program “Your Show of Shows,” died Wednesday in his home. He was 91.

Caesar, partnered with Imogene Coca, is credited with breaking ripe comedic ground with the 90-minute live program: It didn’t rely on vaudeville or standup-inspired material but rather on long skits and sketches written by an impressive roster of comedy writers including Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Neil Simon, Larry Gelbart, Lucille Kallen and Mel Tolkin.
:crying:

Sid Caesar Dead, Iconic Comedian was 91 | Variety

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I met him briefly many years ago in Caldors a store in Yonkers, NY where he signed his book which I gave as a gift to my mother.
When we arrived in the states we always watched 'Your Show Of Shows' which was live broadcasting then. The physical humor was fantastic with no innuendos or insinuations needed. For us English was a new language and Sid Caesar and the comedians such as Howard Morris, Imogene Coca and of course Carl Reiner, who incidentally lived near us in the Bronx, never failed to make us laugh.
Those were the days of innocence and hearty belly laughs, which are a rarity today.:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He basically created the art of TV comedy shows. The cast members you mention were consummate pros, and his writing staff was a who's who of American comedy. There's nothing on TV today that can touch his work, IMHO. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts